Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jon Steeves <Jo...@pmc-sierra.com> on 2004/11/22 18:46:22 UTC

Question about full page tables

Hello:

  I've been trying to solve the following problem that has stumped me.

1. I have an .xml file that looks like this:

     <items>
      <item> blah blah blah blah</item>
      <item> blah </item>
      <item> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah</item>
      <item> blah blah blah</item>
    </item>

  There 210 <item>'s.

 2. I want to format a pdf so that each 8x11 page consists of 21 of these items and that they are printed in a 7 row by 3 column grid that fills the whole page evenly.  I want to then take the ten pages to a paper cutter and cut the stack so that all 210 cards are the same size.

The problem I'm having is each item has a different amount of text so that some rows are thinner than others.  Can anyone help me?

Cheers

Jon

RE: Question about full page tables

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hi,

> The problem I'm having is each item has a different amount of
> text so that some rows are thinner than others.  Can anyone help me?

IIUC, the best way to solve this is by setting the row-height explicitly to the height necessary for the item with the largest content. If the row that contains the largest item is actually 20mm in height, set them all to 20mm, like

<fo:table ...>
  <fo:table-body ...>
    <fo:table-row height="20mm">

Use the 'display-align' property on the individual fo:table-cells to make sure the smaller items are neatly centered, if necessary.

Hope this helps!

Greetz,

Andreas