Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Martin Dulisch <md...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/11/19 15:54:42 UTC

Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent. Matthew, Steven and Ovidiu are blogging
away in real time - here are the links:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0103021/
http://radio.weblogs.com/0103539/
http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/index.html

Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
A big hand to Steven and all that helped organize this wonderful event!
Thank you!

It was great meeting you all. Hope to see you all soon again in real
life. (Gosh, did you know real life does exist?! ;-)

     Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:50:10PM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Matthew Langham wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have my pictures from the Cocoon GetTogether up here:
> >
> >http://sunshine.s-und-n.de/events/ghent/index.html
> >
> >A great event and many thanks go out to Steven Noels and the "rest of the
> >team" for putting on such a great job. See you next year!
>
> I'll be slowly preparing a post-mortem site with everything linked and
> aggregated - this will happen in the next days/weeks (some actual work
> to do now ;-)
>
> For now, please head towards
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0103539/2002/11/20.html#a61 to find links to
> the image gallery and http://radio.weblogs.com/0103539/2002/11/19.html
> for my rolling blog of that day.
>
> Thanks to all who attended, it was fun all the way :-)

If I may, I would just like to add my voice to this chorus of gratitude by
thanking Steven, Marc and Bruno (the Outerthought crew) for putting on
such a fantastic and brilliantly organised event!

This event has gone a long way in helping bring the cocoon cummunity
even closer together and proves once again that email contact is no
substitute for face to face contact.

Thanks a lot Guys :)

Regards,
Michael Melhem

Ps Wow ... Ghent is a very beautiful town!

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>On Wednesday 20 November 2002 13:50, Steven Noels wrote:
>

>>. . .I'll be slowly preparing a post-mortem site...
>>

>Post-what?
>Ghent 2002 will be living forever in our hearts ;-)

Exactly what I wanted to say.

It's amazing how people that never met for real become familiar to each
other in minutes - if not seconds. This means this community is very
strong. And it has now turned into a group of friends.

Hope to see much more people next year to have more friends !

Many, many thanks to the small-but-powerful Outerthought team for
organizing this.

Sylvain

Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
[forgot cross-posting to users]

Matthew Langham wrote:

 > Can we get something set up for discussing 2003? I would like to get a
 > discussion going while the impressions are still fresh!

People _seriously_considering_to_actually_work_together_with_me_ on the
next edition, please subscribe yourself using
party-subscribe@lists.cocoondev.org (listname inspired by the
joining and doing anything else than lurking comes with a price...:

<rant>I know "seriously considering to actually work together with me"
sounds quite heavy but to be honest, I just experienced the amount of
work involved setting up this kind of semi-professional, but budget-wise
still manageable event, and I'd rather like fewer people who are really
willing to help out but then also are prepared to donate actual time to
it (inside normal working hours), rather than lots of volunteers for
discussion, ranting and whatelse, but no actual work being carried out.

Pretty negative, I know, but that's the experience from also being
a steering member of the xmlbelux user group, which conference &
exhibition tomorrow are attracting only half as many people as our
gettogether, even though there was a much bigger working budget. This is
partly because of quite a few of us steering members who didn't have
real bandwidth when the time was there to do things.

Matthew and I did some talking (too little) yesterday, and at least the
two of us -who might appear as having a vested commercial interest in
this kind of events-, are pretty much convinced that getting bigger
would be nice, but that we weren't willing to give up the formula and
authenticity of this event for that matter. Hence remaining a free event
if at all possible, hence having sponsors to carry the weight of the
budget, but still not being prepared for making a commercial event out
of it (and I regard ApacheCon as being a commercial event for that
matter - with sponsor speaking slots etc etc).</rant>

Hope this establishes a good working spirit for next year's event.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Matthew Langham wrote:

> Can we get something set up for discussing 2003? I would like to get a
> discussion going while the impressions are still fresh!

People _seriously_considering_to_actually_work_together_with_me_ on the
next edition, please subscribe yourself using
party-subscribe@lists.cocoondev.org (listname inspired by the
joining and doing anything else than lurking comes with a price...:

<rant>I know "seriously considering to actually work together with me"
sounds quite heavy but to be honest, I just experienced the amount of
work involved setting up this kind of semi-professional, but budget-wise
still manageable event, and I'd rather like fewer people who are really
willing to help out but then also are prepared to donate actual time to
it (inside normal working hours), rather than lots of volunteers for
discussion, ranting and whatelse, but no actual work being carried out.

Pretty negative, I know, but that's the experience from also being
steering member of the xmlbelux user group, which conference &
exhibition tomorrow are attracting only half as many people as our
gettogether, even though there was a much bigger working budget. This is
partly because of quite a few of us steering members who didn't have
real bandwidth when the time was there for doing things.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

RE: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 13:50, Steven Noels wrote:
>. . .I'll be slowly preparing a post-mortem site...

Post-what?
Ghent 2002 will be living forever in our hearts ;-)
<<

Can we get something set up for discussing 2003? I would like to get a
discussion going while the impressions are still fresh!

What shall we use?

Matthew

--
Open Source Group       Cocoon { Consulting, Training, Projects }
Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de
  http://radio.weblogs.com/0103021/

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 13:50, Steven Noels wrote:
>. . .I'll be slowly preparing a post-mortem site...

Post-what?
Ghent 2002 will be living forever in our hearts ;-)

Big thanks to Steven + team!
-Bertrand

Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 02:04:43PM +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> It was really a *great* event with an absolutely perfect organization.
> So, again, many thanks to Steven, Marc, Bruno, their wifes and
> everyone who helped to make *the event* happening.

	Absolutely.. Steven, Marc, Bruno, well done and many thanks from the
	Aussies for organising the GetTogether and your hospitality in
	Gent! Awesome! :)

	It was really great to meet everyone in person and talk at what
	seemed light-speed about the latest hot topics :)

	Thanks to all the speakers too for some great presentations!
	Looking forward to the next GetTogether.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

RE: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Matthew Langham wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have my pictures from the Cocoon GetTogether up here:
> >
> > http://sunshine.s-und-n.de/events/ghent/index.html
> >
> > A great event and many thanks go out to Steven Noels and the
> "rest of the
> > team" for putting on such a great job. See you next year!
>
> I'll be slowly preparing a post-mortem site with everything linked and
> aggregated - this will happen in the next days/weeks (some actual work
> to do now ;-)
>
> For now, please head towards
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0103539/2002/11/20.html#a61 to find links to
> the image gallery and http://radio.weblogs.com/0103539/2002/11/19.html
> for my rolling blog of that day.
>
> Thanks to all who attended, it was fun all the way :-)
>
> We'll be baaaaaack! ;-)

So, everyone who couldn't attend will get very frustrated and depressed
by looking at these nice pictures. Which means: an even bigger GetTogether
next time ;) (And actually I'm a little bit depressed because we had to
leave yesterday before this interesting looking social evening event...
grumpf).

It was really a *great* event with an absolutely perfect organization.
So, again, many thanks to Steven, Marc, Bruno, their wifes and
everyone who helped to make *the event* happening.

Carsten

RE: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Denis <de...@aic-info.com>.
cool ;-))

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by tc...@dff.st.
> > A great event and many thanks go out to Steven Noels and the "rest of
> > the
> > team" for putting on such a great job. See you next year!
>
> Yes, indeed! A great event, organized very well! Thanks Steven, Marc
> and Bruno for all the effort and energy you put in having a highly
> successful meeting! As Sylvain already said, we're now a bunch of
> friends, not only some names on the mailing list.

...nothing much to add!

It was a really great event! Thanks for everything!
I am glad so many people made it!

> Cheers all,

"..just one more beer" ;)
--
Torsten

Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002, at 08:29 Europe/Brussels, Matthew Langham
wrote:

> A great event and many thanks go out to Steven Noels and the "rest of
> the
> team" for putting on such a great job. See you next year!

Yes, indeed! A great event, organized very well! Thanks Steven, Marc
and Bruno for all the effort and energy you put in having a highly
successful meeting! As Sylvain already said, we're now a bunch of
friends, not only some names on the mailing list.

Cheers all,
Ovidiu

Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.