Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2007/12/18 20:16:06 UTC

StupidFilter

A teammate called my attention to this interesting project:

<http://stupidfilter.org/main/index.php?n=Main.About>

> The solution we're creating is simple: an open-source filter software
> that can detect rampant stupidity in written English. This will be
> accomplished with weighted Bayesian or similar analysis and some
> rules-based processing, similar to spam detection engines. The primary
> challenge inherent in our task is that stupidity is not a binary
> distinction, but rather a matter of degree. To this end, we're collecting
> a ranked corpus of stupid text, gleaned from user comments on public
> websites and ranked on a five-point scale.

Might make a good SA plugin.

Re: StupidFilter

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
Sounds like WorkAssassin.  "Message looks like a meeting notice, +5".

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.

Re: StupidFilter

Posted by maillist <ma...@emailacs.com>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:
> A teammate called my attention to this interesting project:
>
> <http://stupidfilter.org/main/index.php?n=Main.About>
>
>> The solution we're creating is simple: an open-source filter software
>> that can detect rampant stupidity in written English. This will be
>> accomplished with weighted Bayesian or similar analysis and some
>> rules-based processing, similar to spam detection engines. The primary
>> challenge inherent in our task is that stupidity is not a binary
>> distinction, but rather a matter of degree. To this end, we're
>> collecting
>> a ranked corpus of stupid text, gleaned from user comments on public
>> websites and ranked on a five-point scale.
>
> Might make a good SA plugin.

What would be the difference in assuming that everything is stupid, then
create a "smartness" filter that only allows good ideas through.  I
mean, it would be closer to reality that way.

Speaking of that, what ever happened to the idea that someone had a few
months ago?  It was a new approach to filter email.  The main idea was
to assume that everything was spam, then build your filter based on
"good mail" qualities.  Seeing as how my spam/ham ratio is about 100/1,
it seems more applicable.

-Aubrey