Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Eike Kettner <ne...@eknet.org> on 2011/03/15 15:05:06 UTC

wicket 1.5-rc2 and aggregate jar for osgi

Hi,

I'm using wicket 1.5-RC1 in an OSGi container. There was an issue when
upgrading related to package names
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-3088)

Now I tried upgrading to 1.5-rc2 and found that there is no aggregate
jar file anymore. I then read the discussion-thread "[discuss] How to
resolve wicket aggregate classes / sources jar issues".
(nabble:
http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/discuss-How-to-resolve-wicket-aggregate-classes-sources-jar-issues-td3234420.html )
As it states, the aggregate jar has been removed from the wicket
distribution. Now, this introduces the very same issues described in
WICKET-3088 again.

While I can just repackage wicket myself and create a aggregate jar to
feed the osgi container, it is first more inconvenient :) and secondly,
there is then no real reason to have the wicket-xxx jars export
packages, as they won't work in an OSGi container one by one anyways. I
cannot add all single jars to the osgi container, because of the clashes
in export-package.

so in summary, there is another use case where the aggregate jar is
really helpful: when using wicket with osgi. But it only is, because
the single wicket jars export the same packages (for example,
wicket-request and wicket-core both export
org.apache.wicket.request.handler).

Are there any thoughts of adding this aggregate jar to the distribution
back again?

kind regards,
eike

Re: Fwd: wicket 1.5-rc2 and aggregate jar for osgi

Posted by Eike Kettner <ne...@eknet.org>.
Hi Daniele,

sorry for answering this late, anyways, inline reply.

On [Fri, 22.04.2011 16:09], Daniele Dellafiore wrote:
> [...]
> >

> yeah I've everything installed. I do not remember what osgi features
> installed this but there is:
>
> [  54] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web -
> Runtime (1.0.1)
> [  55] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web - API
> (1.0.1)
> [  56] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web - Jetty
> (1.0.1)
> [  57] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web -
> Service SPI (1.0.1)
> [  59] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web -
> Extender - Whiteboard (1.0.1)
> [  60] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web -
> FileInstall Deployer (1.0.1)
> [  61] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Url - war:,
> war-i: (1.2.5)
> [  62] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web -
> Extender - WAR (1.0.1)
> [  63] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web - Jsp
> Support (1.0.1)
>
> on Karaf 2.2.0
>

> > Then I use the felix-bundle plugin to create a MANIFEST.MF for my war
> > file. It looks like that:
> >
> >    <plugins>
> >      <plugin>
> >        <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
> >        <artifactId>maven-bundle-plugin</artifactId>
> >        <executions>
> >          <execution>
> >            <id>bundle-manifest</id>
> >            <phase>process-classes</phase>
> >            <goals>
> >              <goal>manifest</goal>
> >            </goals>
> >          </execution>
> >        </executions>
> >        <configuration>
> >          <supportedProjectTypes>
> >            <supportedProjectType>jar</supportedProjectType>
> >            <supportedProjectType>war</supportedProjectType>
> >            <supportedProjectType>bundle</supportedProjectType>
> >          </supportedProjectTypes>
> >          <instructions>
> >            <_include>-osgi.bnd</_include>
> >          </instructions>
> >        </configuration>
> >      </plugin>
> >      <plugin>
> >        <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
> >        <artifactId>maven-war-plugin</artifactId>
> >        <configuration>
> >          <archive>
> >            <manifestFile>
> >              ${project.build.outputDirectory}/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> >            </manifestFile>
> >          </archive>
> >        </configuration>
> >      </plugin>
> >    </plugins>
> >

> it's almost the same as mine, also the war-plugin config is identical.
> I do not have
>
>            <_include>-osgi.bnd</_include>
>
> but I have this instructions
>
>           <_wab>src/main/webapp</_wab>
>             <Web-ContextPath>/myApp</Web-ContextPath>

I didn't know about tha <_wab> configuration, This will maybe then add the
web bundle class path to the headers, so it needn't be specified
explicitely.

> There are some more instructions in the "osgi.bnd" file. You could have
> > written them directly in the <instructions> section of the bundle plugin:
> >
> >  Bundle-Classpath: ., WEB-INF/classes
> >  Web-ContextPath: mywebapp
> >  DynamicImport-Package: *
> >  Webapp-Context: mywebapp
> >

> It seems that maven-bundle-plugin, at least 2.3.4 version, automatically
> add  Bundle-Classpath: WEB-INF/classes if the project is a WAR or have a
> Webapp-Context (that make the bundle a WAB, as for OSGI in Action), in fact
> I do not have that intructions and the war project  Bundle-Classpath:
> WEB-INF/classes in the MANIFEST (note, without the dot).
> I think also that Webapp-Context has been deprecated in favor of the new
> Web-ContextPath you also have.

ok, thanks for the info, I used both headers (web-contextpath and
webapp-context) so far without issues, so I didn't worry to modify this
so far.

> As for DynamicImport-Package: *
> what does this do?

This is a very generic import header for the bundle. It is needed, if
you plan to have other bundles contribute wicket pages/components.
Wicket uses reflection to create page instances. In this case, the
classes must be available to the class loader. If you do not know them
up front, you can use the DynamicImport-Package statement.

> It does not seem you do not have specific Import or Export package
> instructions, so you use the maven-bundle-plugin defaults, so every dep is
> explicitly written in the MANIFEST right?

yes, every dep especially wicket is explicitely written in the manifest.

> > This creates a MANIFEST with Import-Package statements for all your
> > dependencies - they are not included in the war file. The war file has
> > no /lib folder, just WEB-INF/classes and META-INF/ are there. The bundle
> > classpath is extended to include the classes in WEB-INF/classes. I
> > use the scope "provided" for all dependencies.
> >

> where do you specify the "provided" scope? In all the maven deps explicitly?
> There is not a way to tell just maven-bundle-plugin to consider everything
> as provided just when building the bundle? I think that this is the reason
> why you do not have jars in the lib folder, right?

yes, right now I tell every dependency in maven to be "provided", if the
jar is available from the osgi container. if not, i say "compile" and
use the "EmbedDependency" instruction to embed this dependency in the
bundle. I did not use this with the war bundle (only with normal jars)
it needs more fiddleing...

> > When the war file is deployed to the osgi container, the pax bundles
> > from above will make it available to jetty.
> >

> In fact, it seems that if I just manually remove the jars from the lib
> folder, the pax extensions starts but fails to found the classes cause it
> expect to found them in the WEB-INF/lib. So, I get a series of
> ClassNotFoundException for spring and wicket classes during the startup (as
> you can read in the same thread
> http://old.nabble.com/A-better-life%3A-quick-webapp-deploy-to31334158.html)

I'm not sure why this happens. I remember from other threads that you
solved this already, right?

> > In my case the war file contains a simple wicket application that itself
> > listens for other bundles to finally create content.
>

> What do you mean with "listen"? Do you have some OSGI specific code to
> access the application services?

yes and no. I use spring-dm to have services registered at the osgi
registry and to import them from there. every bundle has its own spring
application context. then the war bundle is "listening" for specific
services entering the osgi registry (in my case this is all wired by
spring-dm). If it happens, the webapp can serve more content.

> > So its just a few
> > bytes and I can reload/redeploy the "content bundles" without affecting
> > the whole application.
> >

>  So the wicket module is a separated bundle and the real application
> (services, repositories...) are in another bundle? How do you access them,
> with an OSGi specific mechanism, so you export your services as OSGI
> services and access them from Wicket?

Yes exactly. There are many bundles; and the wicket bundle is also a
separate one. Then, for example, one is for authentication and exports a
service to the osgi registry. I can then use the service by declaring it
in the application context of another bundle using spring-dm specific
xml configuration and then using the @SpringBean annotation. A note to
the @SpringBean annotation: if you plan to have bundles updated or
uninstalled at any time (in my case I "forbid" to stop the
authentication bundle for my application lifetime but allow to
stop/update several other bundles that just add more content to the
webapp, because the application is written to allow it), you might want
to rewrite the @SpringBean cache because it is not aware of services
leaving the application.

> Thanks for sharing your experience, I feel I'm close  :)

you're welcome. hope it helps..

Posted by Daniele Dellafiore <da...@dellafiore.net>.

Posted by Eike Kettner <ne...@eknet.org>.
Hi Daniele,

[...]

listens for other bundles to finally create content. So its just a few
bytes and I can reload/redeploy the "content bundles" without affecting
the whole application.

Regards
Eike

--
email: eike@eknet.org   https://www.eknet.org  pgp: 481161A0

Re: Fwd: wicket 1.5-rc2 and aggregate jar for osgi

Posted by Daniele Dellafiore <da...@dellafiore.net>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
[...]

Posted by Daniele Dellafiore <da...@dellafiore.net>.
mmm, can't really understand.

Anyway, I wanted to add that the point here is to deploy a jar on karaf, not
a war.
To be honest, the real advantage is to deploy a small jar on karaf that is
far better than a heavy war on a jee container.
My idea is to have karaf with all the wicket, spring and other deps, and
that's the easy part.

Then I need a way to start the WicketFilter in the Karaf context. Normally
the JEE container
looks for the web.xml, that in my case bring to the
SpringWebApplicationFactory and a single spring xml file and from there all
the rest.

But what if no one looks for the web.xml? Can I say to osgi that my jar is a

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
See RC1 o.a.w:wicket:pom.xml

Posted by Daniele Dellafiore <da...@dellafiore.net>.

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.
Hello,

Posted by ne...@eknet.org.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Re: wicket 1.5-rc2 and aggregate jar for osgi

Posted by Eike Kettner <ne...@eknet.org>.
Hi Martin,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Eike,