Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Gallardo, Lisa" <Li...@susd12.org> on 2006/06/22 17:25:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Mass virtual hosting - mod_vhost_alias, mod_rewrite or mod_vhost_dbi?

Hi all,
I've set up Apache 2.055 with PHP5 and MySQL5 on Windows 2003. I've got
LDAP working to authenticate against Active Directory. Now I'm at the
stage where I need to set up virtual hosts for possibly up to 1000
users. I've been researching the best way to go about doing this and
have come across the following methods/modules:

mod_vhost_alias http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/mass.html
mod_rewrite
mod_vhost_dbi http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_vhost_dbi/

I really want to set this up correctly from the start because I know
that once it's up it will be difficult to make changes once the server
is live and open for our school webmasters.

What are other people using and are there any straightforward/layman
tutorials out there for implementing these? I've been going over the
apache.org docs but I'm still a bit lost as to the best route to take.
How do web hosts typically set up their Apache virtual hosts?
Lisa

Re: [users@httpd] Mass virtual hosting - mod_vhost_alias, mod_rewrite or mod_vhost_dbi?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/22/06, Gallardo, Lisa <Li...@susd12.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've set up Apache 2.055 with PHP5 and MySQL5 on Windows 2003. I've got
> LDAP working to authenticate against Active Directory. Now I'm at the
> stage where I need to set up virtual hosts for possibly up to 1000
> users. I've been researching the best way to go about doing this and
> have come across the following methods/modules:
>
> mod_vhost_alias http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/mass.html
> mod_rewrite
> mod_vhost_dbi http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_vhost_dbi/
>
> I really want to set this up correctly from the start because I know
> that once it's up it will be difficult to make changes once the server
> is live and open for our school webmasters.
>
> What are other people using and are there any straightforward/layman
> tutorials out there for implementing these? I've been going over the
> apache.org docs but I'm still a bit lost as to the best route to take.
> How do web hosts typically set up their Apache virtual hosts?

There is no general answer to that question.

If your vhosts are going to be relatively standard and well-structured
in the file system, then mod_vhost_alias will almost certainly be the
simplest and fastest method.  mod_rewrite and mod_vhost_dbi are useful
for cases when you cannot easily map ServerNames to the filesystem in
a way supported by mod_vhost_alias.

Joshua.