Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Wein <cw...@mobilygen.com> on 2004/05/20 22:15:08 UTC

Other people's delete dir causes my update to assert?

I can reliably create an assertion failure in 1.0.1 when someone else
deletes (and commits) a directory in which I have non-versioned files in
my WC and I attempt to do an svn update to where the directory was
deleted.  It does not appear to be an issue in the tracker...

Here is the recipe, done with two different working copies, order
important.

WC1

svn mkdir dirA
svn commit -m "just made dirA"

WC2

svn update // gets new directory dirA
cd dirA
touch UnversionedFile

WC1

svn delete dirA
svn commit -m "deleted dirA"

WC2

cd ..       // this is important!
svn update  // try to update to rev that deletes dirA
svn: subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/marshal.c:434: vwrite_tuple: Assertion
`opt || cstr' failed.
Abort

Now, the dirA is no longer versioned after this operation but the
assertion failure has left locks in WC2.  Also, note that if you
do the update from dirA (and do not do the cd .. above) you get

svn: Invalid editor anchoring; at least one of the input paths is not a
directory and there was no source entry

which makes sense to me, and is also clean and leaves no locks.

--
Chris Wein
Software Manager

Re: Other people's delete dir causes my update to assert?

Posted by Michael W Thelen <th...@cs.utah.edu>.
* Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> [2004-05-20 16:30]:
> > cd ..       // this is important!
> > svn update  // try to update to rev that deletes dirA
> > svn: subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/marshal.c:434: vwrite_tuple: Assertion
> > `opt || cstr' failed.
> > Abort
>
> I'm pretty sure this was fixed in 1.0.2.  In any case, you should
> upgrade 1.0.3 because of the security hole.

I'll second that, with the confirmation that I can't reproduce this
behavior with 1.0.2.

-- Mike

--
Michael W. Thelen
The great thing about democracy is that is gives every voter a chance to do

Re: Other people's delete dir causes my update to assert?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.