Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Ali Naddaf <al...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/14 06:12:28 UTC

Re: Does Felix Support the "Hot deployment" of Bundles? (automatically runtime detection of new bundles)

Are you using the fileinstall or something like that? How is the
deployment happening in your case?

Posted by Greg Lucas <gr...@gmail.com>.
You may want to look at Karaf, which has support for deploying 'features':

http://felix.apache.org/site/44-deployer.html

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:51:01 -0300, Solset - verizon.net
<wi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ali,
>
> So I'm familiar with fileinstall and have used it in the past. It's a
> very convenient tool for installing a bundle but as far as I can
> remember if the bundle that you are installing via fileinstall has
> dependencies that are not installed in the container then of course it
> won't install because of unresolved dependencies. Is there a way for me
> to use fileinstall with some other tool which could use a list of URLs
> to retrieve and install all the required dependencies for that bundle?
>
> Ali Naddaf wrote:
>> OSGi framework, on its own, doesn't monitor filesystem for new bundle
>> or updates to them; you need to either write your own mechanism, or use
>> something like fileinstall [1] to do that for you.
>> Ali
>>
>> [1] http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-file-install.html
>>
>> On 3/14/2010 10:29 AM, Leon668 wrote:
>>> I just manually copied the file to the folder where the other jar
>>> files are. I hope I am doing something right?
>>>
>>> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Ali Naddaf <ali.naddaf@gmail.com
>>> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Are you using the fileinstall or something like that? How is the
>>>     deployment happening in your case?
>>>

>>>     On 3/13/2010 11:08 PM, Leon668 wrote:
>>>
>>>         I am writing to see if the OSGI bundles can be installed when
>>>         I copy a new
>>>         bundle to the folder I deploy the bundles.
>>>
>>>         I tried to copy some new bundles there at runtime, but it
>>>         looks like I
>>>         cannot get them automatically deployed. I wonder if I missed
>>>         anything or
>>>         not.
>>>

>>>         Thanks,
>>>
>>>         Leon

Greg Lucas

Re: Does Felix Support the "Hot deployment" of Bundles? (automatically runtime detection of new bundles)

Posted by Ali Naddaf <al...@gmail.com>.
You might want to look into the OBR, for example [1].
Ali

[1] http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-osgi-bundle-repository.html

Posted by "Solset - verizon.net" <wi...@gmail.com>.
Ali,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 3/14/10 11:32, Ali Naddaf wrote:
> OSGi framework, on its own, doesn't monitor filesystem for new bundle
> or updates to them; you need to either write your own mechanism, or
> use something like fileinstall [1] to do that for you.

More specifically, neither the framework nor the Felix launcher monitor
a directory at run time and perform any sort of "hot deploy" operations.
However, at framework start time, the Felix launcher does auto deploy
whatever is in the auto-deploy directory ("bundle" by default).

So, as Ali says, if you want run-time deployment, you need to use
something like File Install.

-> richard

Posted by Ali Naddaf <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leon668 <le...@gmail.com>.