Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/04/15 18:27:05 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] Flex Doc Donation

Vote passed with:

11 +1 binding votes
 2 +1 non-binding votes

After a few mixups, the Software Grant was finally recorded so we can
start on the IP clearance.

-Alex

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Flex Doc Donation

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I don't think it really offers us much advantage at the moment.  Because of
the size of our site (mainly because of asdocs), it will add a lot of bloat
everytime we publish a new Flex version...

-Nick

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> The files are in our svn in a branch.  Are you saying some XML files were
> missing from the donation?

Yes, the missing aspx files, ex:
http://aspexamples.adobe.com/chart_examples/expenses.aspx

A cached version from 2012 is available here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120502064410/http://aspexamples.adobe.com/chart_examples/expenses-xml.aspx
If you look at the 'View Source' on that page, there is a piece of xml
<data>...</data> which is what powers the chart examples at examples such
as:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf6568f-7ffc.html

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/29/15, 2:44 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>HI,
>
>> Our legal folks currently do not see the cleaning up of terms like
>>“Flash
>> content” as a requirement before publication.
>
>Dos that mean they it needs to be done after publication or do they don't
>care at all?

Well, yes it needs to be done.  Don’t know if someone is going to be
watching over our shoulder and how often they are going to check.  It
probably isn’t a high priority, but Adobe must defend the integrity of the
mark.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Our legal folks currently do not see the cleaning up of terms like “Flash
> content” as a requirement before publication.

Dos that mean they it needs to be done after publication or do they don't care at all?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Flex Doc Donation

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/28/15, 1:03 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>>>Also according to [1] terms like "Flash application” and “Flash content”
>>> are not allowed to be used, which the content currently also uses.
>>
>> I’ll ask Adobe legal how important that is.  For now I left "Adobe
>>Flash"
>> in the list on some pages.
>
>Well Adobe not following their own trademark usage may be OK - they are
>probably not going to sue themselves for trademark infringement :-) It
>may be easier just changing the wording as it’s only in 2 or 3 places.

I think I found lots more than 2 or 3.  I left “Adobe Flash” in the
trademark list on pages where “Flash” is used not in conjunction with
other words “Flash Platform” or “Flash Player” so that can help anyone who
wants to do these edits find places to look, but I could certainly have
missed some.  I think I saw Flash IDE and Flash Video File.  And places
where the word “Adobe” and TM and R might need to be added.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>> Should be “LifeCycle":
>> grep "LIveCycle” ./content/doc/flex/using/*
>
> Didn’t understand this.

Very minor - the “I” should be a ”i”.

> I’ll leave these for someone else to determine if they can be replaced
> with Apache Flex.  If any can’t be then we’ll add Adobe Flex to the list.

Sounds reasonable.

>> Also according to [1] terms like "Flash application” and “Flash content”
>> are not allowed to be used, which the content currently also uses.
>
> I’ll ask Adobe legal how important that is.  For now I left "Adobe Flash"
> in the list on some pages.

Well Adobe not following their own trademark usage may be OK - they are probably not going to sue themselves for trademark infringement :-) It may be easier just changing the wording as it’s only in 2 or 3 places.

> That may not be the correct interpretation.  Since I have to ask Legal
> about the usage of “Flash content” etc, I’ll ask for a clarification on
> this attribution.

According to legal advice (from a firm specialising in IP/Trademark law) I’ve received it is, but as they say your millage may vary.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Flex Doc Donation

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I just committed a bunch of updates to the trademark lists.  Thanks Justin
for finding these.

On 4/27/15, 3:41 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>There’s still a couple of minor trademarks issue that need fixing up.
>
>grep "Nokia" ./content/doc/flex/using/*

I replaced Nokia with Flex just for now.  We can’t use the images anyway
so Nick or someone will have to cook up a modified example.

>Should be “LifeCycle":
>grep "LIveCycle” ./content/doc/flex/using/*

Didn’t understand this.

>Perhaps these:
>grep "Adobe Flex" ./content/doc/flex/using/*

I’ll leave these for someone else to determine if they can be replaced
with Apache Flex.  If any can’t be then we’ll add Adobe Flex to the list.

>grep “Blaze" ./content/doc/flex/using/*
>
>Perhaps these as well:
>grep “Flash Platform" ./content/doc/flex/using/*
>grep “Flash Player" ./content/doc/flex/using/*

Added all three.

AW: [RESULT] [VOTE] Flex Doc Donation

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I think the product name of Adobes "BlazeDS Professional/Enterprise" is LiveCycle

Chris

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/30/15, 5:54 AM, "Nicholas Kwiatkowski" <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:

>I image we can re-configure the applets to use .xml documents.  From what
>remember, 90% of them were calling web services anyway, so we should be
>able to get the same result.

OK.  I know there is an employees.xml in the flex-external repo at
ADC/remotedata.  Not sure if that will help or not.

@Nick, over in the Installer thread I’m trying to get a status on your
as3httpclient work.  I’m willing to try to work on it so we can get
another Installer release out.  Can you update us in that thread?

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Flex Doc Donation

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I image we can re-configure the applets to use .xml documents.  From what I

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> I have a pile of mxml files that look like they are safe to commit.  Where
> should they go?  SVN or Git?

A good place for them would be Tour De Flex and (eventually) have the content point to that.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Flex Doc Donation

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I don’t know what is behind an asp site, but if it looks like code, it
will have to go through the donation process, I can’t just copy it over.

I’ll ask around, but even if there are dozens of apps and they all hit one
or two server calls, it will still be faster to adjust those dozen tests,
especially if you can use sed or something like that.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 4/27/15, 2:59 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >In my experience, I have seen a lot of them.  I don't know if there is a
> >way to get an accurate count of how many.
> >
> >Of course, if you are not able to locate them, we would have to go update
> >them anyways.  But, if you are able to locate and copy them over, it will
> >definitely save us a lot of time.
>
> The doc folks have looked around and can’t fine the asp code.  We’ll have
> to re-create it ourselves.  Can we just stick .json or .xml files on our
> site?  Do we need an actual ASP server?

It could be json or xml.  AMF would be better ;-)
And no, it does not have to be an ASP server.  We could just serve the
files off of a simple webserver.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.