Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Harshit Pandey <ha...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/08 17:46:35 UTC

Solr transformer Peformance : [child] vs [subquery]

<https://stackoverflow.com/posts/64661000/timeline>

Hi Solr users

While reading through the solr docs
<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/transforming-result-documents.html#TransformingResultDocuments-_subquery_>,
it states '*[subquery] is an improvement over [child]'*.

On deep diving through the docs 1,* [subquery] definitely *seems better
wrt. the capabilities/offerings (sorting of nested documents, etc). It
gives much more control as compared to the *[child]* transformer

*But is it better (or equivalent)  in terms of performance as well ?*

1 of the requirements of my current project is to sort the child documents
for every parent. *[child]* doesn't seem to have that support. *[subquery]* has
it, but I am hesitant to migrate to it as it seems to be more expensive.

As per my understanding, *[child]* only gets executed within the boundaries
of the child docs for a given parent. Whereas *[subquery]* gets executed
across the index. Hence the [*Subquery]* transformer seems to be more
expensive than [*Child].* Please help in validating this hypothesis.

"*Can I use the [subquery] transformer as efficiently as
the [child] transformer itself ???*"

Any details/insights wrt the performance comparisons will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Harshit

Re: Solr transformer Peformance : [child] vs [subquery]

Posted by Harshit Pandey <ha...@gmail.com>.
Bump..