Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/02/27 11:56:48 UTC

Docs and stuff

Hi,

how do we want to organize docs? It is near impossible to have integrated
docs from three different projects. Neither anakia, stylebook or cocoon
from the looks of it are able to do it easily. Hell I couldn't find
anything to build hierarchial static web-documents anywhere on the web ;(

Consequently we have three options...
1. Have a separate page set per product with a central main one
2. Keep all docs in one CVS
3. write our own tool to do it (or enhance one of existing ones).

I don't have energy for 3 - any preferences for the others ?

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Docs and stuff

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how do we want to organize docs? It is near impossible to have integrated
> docs from three different projects. Neither anakia, stylebook or cocoon
> from the looks of it are able to do it easily. Hell I couldn't find
> anything to build hierarchial static web-documents anywhere on the web ;(
>
> Consequently we have three options...
> 1. Have a separate page set per product with a central main one
> 2. Keep all docs in one CVS
> 3. write our own tool to do it (or enhance one of existing ones).
>
> I don't have energy for 3 - any preferences for the others ?

I vote for #1.

Cocoon will eventually be able to do #3.

Re: Docs and stuff

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 09:43  27/2/01 -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:
>on 2/27/01 2:56 AM, "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> how do we want to organize docs? It is near impossible to have integrated
>> docs from three different projects. Neither anakia, stylebook or cocoon
>> from the looks of it are able to do it easily.
>
>Eh? What exactly is missing from Anakia?

The same stuff missing from stylebook. You still have to manually build the
project/book file and carefully craft cross-links. The context information
(ie where you are relating to root document, the link traversal path etc)
is difficult (though not impossible) to extract.

>> Hell I couldn't find
>> anything to build hierarchial static web-documents anywhere on the web ;(
>
>Please give me an example of what you mean here.

Consider the directory structure

doc.xml
path1/doc.xml
path1/patha/doc.xml
path2/doc.xml

I would want to automagically generate a schaffolding for the documents
that includes the above in a single sweep. The side navigation bar would
expand as you walk down the tree. ie path1/patha/doc.xml would have the
menu item path1 and patha expanded but path2 closed. There would also be
links across top the state how you traverse to this location.

The best way to do this would be to write an ant task to automagically
generate the project/book files and then do some complex scripting in
XSLT/Velocity.

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Docs and stuff

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/27/01 2:56 AM, "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org> wrote:

> how do we want to organize docs? It is near impossible to have integrated
> docs from three different projects. Neither anakia, stylebook or cocoon
> from the looks of it are able to do it easily.

Eh? What exactly is missing from Anakia?

> Hell I couldn't find
> anything to build hierarchial static web-documents anywhere on the web ;(

Please give me an example of what you mean here.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous
<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/> && <http://java.apache.org/turbine/>