Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Henno Vermeulen <he...@huizemolenaar.nl> on 2015/04/23 11:48:36 UTC

criteria API generates a parameter for literal in group by but does not provide the value

Hello,

I have a query created using the criteria API where I group by an expression that contains a small calculation using literal values.

OpenJPA generates the correct SQL but does not provide the value of the generated parameter in the group by clause. The query fails with a SQL exception "The value is not set for the parameter number 9.".

I can reproduce the issue with a minimal example. Suppose we have a person class with integer age and length columns and we wish to select the average length grouped by the person's age / 10:

                        CriteriaBuilder cb = em.getCriteriaBuilder();
                        CriteriaQuery<Double> query = cb.createQuery(Double.class);
                        Root<Person> person = query.from(Person.class);

                        Expression<Double> averageLength = cb.avg(person.<Integer> get("length"));
                        CriteriaQuery<Double> select = query.select(averageLength);

                        select.groupBy(cb.quot(person.<Integer> get("age"), cb.literal(10)));
                        // optional where, useful to ensure parameters are logged
                        select.where(cb.gt(person.<Integer> get("age"), cb.literal(20)));

                        System.out.println("result: " + em.createQuery(query).getResultList());

Whe running this query with trace and displaying parameters on I get:

1067  testPU  TRACE  [main] openjpa.Query - Executing query: Query: org.apache.openjpa.kernel.QueryImpl@be4f81; candidate class: class entities.Person; query: null
1108  testPU  TRACE  [main] openjpa.jdbc.SQL - <t 5763249, conn 7326702> executing prepstmnt 26531336 SELECT AVG(t0.length) FROM Person t0 WHERE (t0.age > ?) GROUP BY (t0.age / ?) [params=(int) 20]

You can clearly see that the query has two parameter placeholders but only one value is provided.
Shall I report this as a bug or am I doing something wrong in my code?

(As a workaround I can call setHint("openjpa.hint.UseLiteralInSQL", "true") on em.createQuery(query). This doesn't work in my application because there is a bug where boolean literals aren't correctly handled: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-2534. I think this is solved in the upcoming release.)

Thank you,
Henno

Re: criteria API generates a parameter for literal in group by but does not provide the value

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Yes, we still have to get the docs and site done.
Txs for your unit test. Will try to give it a run in the next 2 days.

LieGrue,
strub

--
*Rick Curtis*

Re: criteria API generates a parameter for literal in group by but does not provide the value

Posted by Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com>.

--
*Rick Curtis*

Re: criteria API generates a parameter for literal in group by but does not provide the value

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Thanks Henno!

Posted by Henno Vermeulen <he...@huizemolenaar.nl>.