Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ml...@bogusville.us on 2004/10/14 19:01:32 UTC

Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

Howdy.

I'm prototyping Subversion for my company and I encountered a problem
after installation.

My environment is WinXP/Apache 2.0.52 and the latest Subversion downloaded
today (2004/10/14). The installation was painless and all seemed to work
well until I tried to point my browser to the repository, created by
svnadmin create MyRePo as described in the online help file. Instead of
seeing something reasonable, the browser (Firefox) returns the following
error message:

<D:error>
<C:error/>
<m:human-readable errcode="160029">
Could not open the requested SVN filesystem
</m:human-readable>
</D:error>

This is more helpful than the IE message (The page cannot be displayed!)

If I create another repo using Tortise using either BDB or FSFS file
systems, I can see it just fine. I don't see anything in the help file,
FAQ, or searching the archive that addresses this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

   Sean

Re: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

Posted by ml...@bogusville.us.
Bizarre permissions problem on Windows.

It turns out that when they set up my account on the XP box, they simply
renamed the original user's profile. When I create a new subdir in
Explorer and then create a subdir and repository using Tortise, it
correctly uses the SYSTEM account name as creator. However, for a reason
that I don't understand, when I spawn a command shell and do the same
thing manually, it give ownership not to my account name or to the SYSTEM
account name, but to the original user's accountname, which of course
doesn't exist any longer because his account profile was renamed.

There's a convoluted process that supposedly fixes this (create a new user
with admin privilege, look for the SID of the old user, edit the registry,
all that crap) that failed when I tried it the first time. Sigh.

The short term solution is to use Tortise to create the directory in the
first place and then create the repository. It works perfectly then.

This ought to be documented somewhere, though it certainly isn't a FAQ. I
hope the email archives is updated - the only dates that I've seen are
dated in 2003.

Thanks for your help.

  Sean