Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/08 19:47:41 UTC

[Question] Copying code from MyFaces

Hey Guys,

All arguments about the need for a "common" code package aside (yes, I
will continue to champion this), Trinidad has the need to create
container abstractions for some of our initialization services.  We're
basically going to use the external context to pass into these services
because it's a familiar interface.  The reason this needs to be done
outside of the Faces arena is that these services MAY be kicked off from
a filter if one is present because there were some usecases we just
couldn't resolve in order to eliminate the need for the filter in order
to work in the portal.  Many of the usecases, however, can be written in
a container-agnostic fashion and run from the portal.

So here is my question.  Is it bad for to copy come of the MyFaces code
(namely the ExternalContext code) and move it into our packages,
changing it as we need to.  We cannot be dependent on the MyFaces Impl
package (which is where this code currently exists) in order to maintain
compatibility with the RI.  Seems silly to rewrite these containers though.

I figured I'd ask since both MyFaces and Trinidad are under the Apache
Liscence.  And yes, when/if we get a common package, we may be able to
share this code but I'm on somewhat of a time limit.

Scott

Re: [Question] Copying code from MyFaces

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Well at least it is under Apache 2.0,
do what ever you want with the code :))

-M

On 11/9/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is nothing offending in copying any of the classes over from
> MyFaces-Impl to Trinidad!
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 11/8/06, Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> >
> > All arguments about the need for a "common" code package aside (yes, I
> > will continue to champion this), Trinidad has the need to create
> > container abstractions for some of our initialization services.  We're
> > basically going to use the external context to pass into these services
> > because it's a familiar interface.  The reason this needs to be done
> > outside of the Faces arena is that these services MAY be kicked off from
> > a filter if one is present because there were some usecases we just
> > couldn't resolve in order to eliminate the need for the filter in order
> > to work in the portal.  Many of the usecases, however, can be written in
> > a container-agnostic fashion and run from the portal.
> >
> > So here is my question.  Is it bad for to copy come of the MyFaces code
> > (namely the ExternalContext code) and move it into our packages,
> > changing it as we need to.  We cannot be dependent on the MyFaces Impl
> > package (which is where this code currently exists) in order to maintain
> > compatibility with the RI.  Seems silly to rewrite these containers though.
> >
> > I figured I'd ask since both MyFaces and Trinidad are under the Apache
> > Liscence.  And yes, when/if we get a common package, we may be able to
> > share this code but I'm on somewhat of a time limit.
> >
> > Scott
> >

> --
>
> http://www.irian.at
>
> Your JSF powerhouse -
> JSF Consulting, Development and
> Courses in English and German

Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: [Question] Copying code from MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sure!

we might do the same sometime ;)

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: [Question] Copying code from MyFaces

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sure!

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Yay..  Thanks Martin.