Posted to announce@maven.apache.org by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> on 2015/12/10 21:20:19 UTC

[Jigsaw] Get involved and stay informed about Maven and JDK9 Jigsaw

Hi,

the Apache Maven team has decided to introduce a new subject prefix for
the maven-dev mailinglist[1].
Messages prefixed with [Jigsaw] will be used to share information about
Mavens progress on adopting JDK9 Jigsaw.

Current status: I've been able to package the current codebase of Maven
(core), package all our maven-plugins and run all their integration tests
successfully with the following changes:

- Use at least jdk9-b83 due to a classloading issue reported by us and
solved together with Stuart McCulloch.
- When using org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-component-metadata, use
1.7-SNAPSHOT

This looks very promising, though there's still a small chance we've
missed a specific jigsaw change which wasn't covered by an
integration-test.

Next step is to be able to compile with module-info.
There's a jigsaw-ea branch of the plexus-compiler[4] which you can fork
and test.
The specs of -modulepath doesn't allow a direct reference to jars yet
(we've reported JDK-8144665[5]) so the jars are still copied to a separate
folder.
I've started adding module-info files to a local fork of the Maven
project, but I'm blocked by JDK-8144879[6]

We have good contact with Oracle. Buildtools like Maven are very important
to adopt these changes. The concepts are there, and there's still room for
discussion on the details (like [5]).
With the jigsaw-ea releases and the mentioned adjustments on your project
configuration you can start testing and share your feedback.

thanks,
Robert

ps. Also check the maven-jdeps-plugin[6]

[1] http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html
[2]
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2015-September/004590.html
[3] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jigsaw/jake/langtools/rev/948a1770620e