Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Sean Conlon <Se...@mclaneco.com> on 2009/11/11 23:12:05 UTC

ServiceMix 3.3 in 32-bit vs. 64-bit env.

I have the option to run ServiceMix 3.0 under a 64-bit processor.
Should I opt for the 64-bit upgrade, or just run it in the 32-bit?  What
have your experiences been with either?

Thanks,

     Sean

Re: ServiceMix 3.3 in 32-bit vs. 64-bit env.

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Sean,

I think it mostly depends on how much memory you require to run
ServiceMix.  If you're running ServiceMix with the default heap size
setting or something like 1.5 GB of heap, I think you'll hardly notice
any difference in performance between the 32-bit and 64-bit platform.
In fact, on some platforms the performance might even be better with a
32-bit JVM (e.g. on the IBM System i, a new 32-bit JVM was introduced
to improve performance over the 64-bit one that's the default on that
platform).

However, if you plan to run a ServiceMix instance which requires a lot
of RAM, you want to switch to a 64-bit JVM to allow using more of your
server's RAM.  The exact memory limit on a 32-bit JVM seems to vary a
bit depending on the OS (the amount ram a single process can allocate
on the OS), but typically once you want to assign like 2 GB RAM or
more to ServiceMix you should start looking at a 64-bit OS and JVM.

Hope this helps,

Gert Vanthienen
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com