Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Rick Root <ri...@webworksllc.com> on 2008/01/15 01:00:34 UTC

POI and the 65536 row limit

List,

I recently started using the poi library (version 2.5 something is
included with Adobe Coldfusion)... and I'm using it to generate excel
spreadsheets.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a limitation of 65536 rows, while
Excel 2007 can handle many many many more.

I've seen other posts saying that it's a limitation of Excel, not of
the POI library - however, since the limitation isn't in Excel 2007
and I still seem to face that limitation when attempting to open files
created by POI, I'm not sure what to do.

Since Excel *DOES* support something like a million rows and thousands
of columns now, does anyone know if newer versions of POI support the
"big grid", or if there are any plans for such support.

Thanks.

--
Rick Root
New Brian Vander Ark Album, songs in the music player and cool behind

Re: POI and the 65536 row limit

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Rick Root wrote:
> I recently started using the poi library (version 2.5 something is
> included with Adobe Coldfusion)... and I'm using it to generate excel
> spreadsheets.

It's probably worth upgrading to 3.0.1, or even better 3.0.2 beta 2, as
there have been lots of bug fixes since then

> Unfortunately, there seems to be a limitation of 65536 rows, while Excel
> 2007 can handle many many many more.

Only in its own format (xlsx or xlsb). If you try to save a file with than
65,536 rows or 256 columns as a normal xls file, you get a big error out
of excel, and it truncates your data to fit

> Since Excel *DOES* support something like a million rows and thousands
> of columns now, does anyone know if newer versions of POI support the
> "big grid", or if there are any plans for such support.

The ooxml support (for .xlsx files) will almost certainly support larger
numbers of rows and cells. However, work on that has only just started, so
won't be ready for many months

Nick