Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2015/01/14 20:09:52 UTC

[Math] Add RMS computation in "DescriptiveStatistics"

Hi.

Any objection to my adding a "getQuadraticMean()" method in
"DescriptiveStatistics" (in package "o.a.c.m.stat")?

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Add RMS computation in "DescriptiveStatistics"

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:36:08 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 1/14/15 12:09 PM, Gilles wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Any objection to my adding a "getQuadraticMean()" method in
>> "DescriptiveStatistics" (in package "o.a.c.m.stat")?
> +1 and can also be added to SummaryStatistics

JIRA issue created.

> and as an individual
> moment stat.

The implementation could readily inherit from "SumOfSquares", just
overriding the "evaluate" method.

Alternatively (or additionally?), we could create a new "PowerMean"
class such that
  PowerMean quadraticMean = new PowerMean(2);

Whatever the choice for an individual RMS moment, it would be a
performance penalty to use it as an independent field in
"DescriptiveStatistics" because the same computation would be
performed twice (for the RMS and for the "SumOfSquares").
[This is the subject of the other post.]

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 1/14/15 12:09 PM, Gilles wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Any objection to my adding a "getQuadraticMean()" method in
> "DescriptiveStatistics" (in package "o.a.c.m.stat")?
+1 and can also be added to SummaryStatistics and as an individual
moment stat.

Phil