Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Hen <ba...@apache.org> on 2019/03/10 22:08:38 UTC

Updates to 3P page

In case you didn't notice, I did a bunch of structural changes to
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html; most notably I changed it from a
FAQ to a Policy. I think 10 years is long enough for us to dance around
disagreements in drafting :)

I did add a note on CC-BY to pull it out of its odd place in the
weak-copyleft list:

    http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-by

Some additional changes I think should be done but I wanted to pass by
others first:

i) Replace #2 and #3 in our Criteria with Marvin's proposed:

    2. The license, as applied in practice, must not impose significant
         restrictions beyond those imposed by the Apache License 2.0.

ii) Remove the Ruby question in the Cat B section. I'd like to add a
general note that any weak-copyleft licensed work may be relied upon
(though not any Cat B due to CC-BY-SA).

iii) I'd love a phrase other than weak-copyleft. "File-based copyleft" is
typically used to refer to the EPL/MPL world.

Hen