Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2002/09/06 12:53:25 UTC

[Announce] CyberNeko Tools for XNI 2002.09.06 Available

With the new release of Xerces2 and the XNI changes that
were made, I needed to update a variety of the tools in
NekoXNI. I have now made those changes and am pleased to
announce the CyberNeko Tools for XNI version 2002.09.06.

The changes made in this release are:

   * Updated NekoHTML, ManekiNeko, and NekoPull so that
     they can work with Xerces 2.1.0 as well as previous
     versions of Xerces2.
   * Fixed bug in NekoPull that prevented processing
     instructions from being propagated.

You can download the new release at the usual location:

   http://www.apache.org/~andyc/neko/doc/index.html

Enjoy!

                         * * *

Now that NekoPull has been out for awhile, I'd like to
know if people have looked at it and what they think of
my approach to an XML pull-parsing API. There are some
key differences between NekoPull and other APIs (e.g.
XMLPull). The primary difference is the hierarchy of
classes with public fields to access the document info.
Does this work for people? Is it worthwhile to pursue
a native implementation of this approach?

All questions, comments, and concerns are welcome.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

evaluating pull parsing APIs [Re: [Announce] CyberNeko Tools for XNI 2002.09.06 Available]

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> Now that NekoPull has been out for awhile, I'd like to
> know if people have looked at it and what they think of
> my approach to an XML pull-parsing API. There are some
> key differences between NekoPull and other APIs (e.g.
> XMLPull). The primary difference is the hierarchy of
> classes with public fields to access the document info.
> Does this work for people? Is it worthwhile to pursue
> a native implementation of this approach?
>
> All questions, comments, and concerns are welcome.

hi Andy,

i think that it is interesting approach however currently included
samples (counter, tracer, writer) are very simple so it is hard to
see how pull parsing is really working - in XmlPull we have
not only standard samples but also more complex ones
and that were specifically chosen to allow comparing pull parsing
with push parsing: samples are based on articles that were
describing .NET or SAX and we wanted to show that pull parsing
and particularly XmlPull API is good solution :-)
i think they should be very easy to modify for NekoPull.

see:

  http://www.xmlpull.org/v1/download/unpacked/src/java/samples/RSSReader.java

first sample can also be compared to .NET code from
the original article: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/22/parsing.html
and its SAX version: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/03/06/csharpxml.html

  http://www.xmlpull.org/v1/download/unpacked/src/java/samples/BestDeal.java

second sample is aiming to show that maintaining state with pull
parser is much easier than to use SAX with switch/case in callbacks IMHO.

i believe that those two samples can be a valuable tool to compare
different APIs and i would like to hear your opinion.

thanks,

alek