Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by patrikwettergren <pa...@tr.com> on 2015/11/18 10:38:21 UTC

ActiveMQ Brokers starts the reindex of the KahaDB on every startup

Hello we are running on a Master/Slave Setup of two ActiveMQ Brokers with
version 5.9.

We have taken a copy of our ActiveMQ Production KahaDB and placed it in the
Stage Environment. This to resolve an issue with DLQ placed Messages.

The issue we are seeing now is that the Stage ActiveMQ Brokers are running a
full re-index every time they are restarted and when the re-indexing are
done the Broker states that there is not enough  space on the disk and it
then caps the usage of the disk to what it reads is available.

The problem is here that the used disk space is from the copied KahaDB that
the AMQ Broker just re-indexed.

So in other word it reads the KahaDB files fine to re-index the data in
them, but does not take into account of what diskspace it is already using
when reading space available when it is finished the re-indexing.

The Size of the KahaDB Set is 226GB it is placed on a 500GB Mount on and the
ActiveMQ Brokers are runninng on Oracle Linux Server release 6.5 OL-6.5.1-64
servers with JDK 6.

In activemq.xml we have set the flow control so that anyhting above 75% of
storage usage stops messages handling on specific queues and the storage
usage is set :
   <systemUsage>
            <systemUsage>
                <memoryUsage>
                    <memoryUsage percentOfJvmHeap="75" />
                </memoryUsage>
                <storeUsage>
                    <storeUsage limit="400 gb"/>
                </storeUsage>
                <tempUsage>
                    <tempUsage limit="50 gb"/>
                </tempUsage>
            </systemUsage>
        </systemUsage>

But even so the AMQ Brokers only sees the availble Disk space in '500G  226G
275G  46%' on the Mount and activates the flow control since the 275Gb
available space is smaller then the 400GB stated in activemq.xml.

So the question is now why is the Broker doing this even after it have read
through the KahaDB data and reindexed it and updated the db.data file and is
using the 226GB but does not take this into account  when reading the
'storageUsage' limit in activemq.xml

I might be missing something here ot is it just as simple that I need to get
the Mountpoint of 500GB larger. So any help would be very appriciated.

Kind regards
Patrik Wettergren

Re: ActiveMQ Brokers starts the reindex of the KahaDB on every startup

Posted by patrikwettergren <pa...@tr.com>.
Thank you Tim.

Now I have get it ready for the upgrade run.

Kind regards
Patrik

Re: ActiveMQ Brokers starts the reindex of the KahaDB on every startup

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
If only.  The worst part is that the mobile version of the webapp doesn't
show Fixed Version, which can make it completely useless if you're trying
to figure out whether a given bug fix is already in the version you're
using or you need to upgrade.

Posted by "Basmajian, Raffi" <rb...@ofiglobal.com>.
Tim, we need an app for that :-)

Raffi