Posted to user@struts.apache.org by br...@tariffenet.it on 2005/02/10 09:08:46 UTC

Re: [OT] Identify web user in intranet

There is the MAC address, but only if you are connected to the same
switch/hub. Otherwise, it will fail because the MAC address is usually the
one of the default gateway.
The big big problem is that almost everything can be spoofed. IP address
can be spoofed (well at least the response never arrives...), MAC address
can be spoofed, even cookies can be spoofed. In fact, before writing this
email, I thought about setting a cookie on the client machine, but:
1) maybe the client sometimes deletes all of his cookies;
2) the cookie itself is insecure and can be spoofed.
In SSH (the Secure SHell, that permits secure remote shells), both client
and server have criptography and electronic signatures enabled, so that
the server is sure that the legitimate owner of the private key is the one
who is communicating. But not in HTTP or at least in normal HTTP.
The SET technology, usually used in money transactions (but I have to say
I never saw that in action!), gives a certificate to everyone: client,
seller and bank.
Anyway, these technologies identify THE PERSON and not THE MACHINE because
you can simply copy certificates and key pairs on another machine (though
usually, except of extreme cases of stupidity, the one which does such a
thing is the legitimate owner).
Maybe you can rely on the header of HTTP request, to see its OS,
machine,etc. But again it can be spoofed.
So I think the most viable way is to use SSL with a login phase
(eventually with a cookie). To identify the agent, you should analyze the
header of HTTP requests, hoping it is not spoofed, but only for view
reasons (different page organizations, different colours, etc.) because
relying on header of HTTP requests is pretty dangerous.
I thought in this email that security is your main problem. But if you
only want to display something different while a user is on a different
machine, I think you should see Dimensions:
http://mutidimensions.sourceforge.net/
Hope it helps
Antonio Petrelli

Posted by Ashish Kulkarni <ku...@yahoo.com>.
Hi
This is not the exact requirement to display floor
plan, i have production line in factory and the worker
needs to know his production plan for that, and he is
not allowed to touch the screen or enter book mark,
this is very crucial to display the correct line, or
else he will end up manufactoring some thing else...

How to tackle this issue

Ashish

Posted by Jeff Beal <jb...@webmedx.com>.

Posted by PA <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 11, 2005, at 10:29, Duncan Mills wrote:

> Unfashionable as they are, applets do have their uses.

Perhaps. But this is really something which good, old DNS can easily
solve. There is a plethora of more or less obsolete record types
dealing with identity and location: GPOS, HINFO, LOC, TXT, etc. It's
just a question of setting this up.

Keep in mind that you can very easily access DNS informations through
JDNI:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jndi/jndi-dns.html

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay
http://alt.textdrive.com/

Re: [OT] Identify web user in intranet

Posted by Duncan Mills <du...@oracle.com>.
You could always write a Java applet that inspects the machine in some
way and launches the correct page in the browser. I assume that, in this
case the machines don't get moved much, so a simple configuration file
could be used to indicate the correct location.
Unfashionable as they are, applets do have their uses.

Regards

Duncan Mills

http://www.groundside.com/blog

Posted by Ashish Kulkarni <ku...@yahoo.com>.