Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Algarve, Leila" <Le...@tuevs.de> on 2000/12/21 14:32:00 UTC

[NEWBIE] Servlet-mapping question

  I've already tried to find the answer in many places, including the
archives but it doesn't work.

I am using Visual Cafe for the Servlet development and I want to be able to
debug it. I can configurate the Tomcat and send a post to my servlet with:
http://localhost/servlet/myServletPackage.myServlet but I need to be able to
call it using only http://localhost during the development. Reading in the
Internet, I deduced that I had to change the web.xml file:

    <servlet>
          <servlet-name>myServlet</servlet-name>
          <servlet-class>myServletPackage.myServlet</servlet-class>
	<load-on-startup>
            -2147483646
	</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>
    <servlet-mapping>
          <servlet-name>myServlet</servlet-name>
          <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

I put  <servlet-mapping>...</servlet-mapping> after all
<servlet>...</servlet>. The servlet is loaded correctly.

I know how to change the port number from 8080 to 80 in the server.xml, so I
think that is not the problem. Do I need to create a new context too? I
tried this:

        <Context path="/"
                 docBase="c:\develop\"
                 debug="1"
                 reloadable="true" >
        </Context>

To configure the Tomcat for debugging, I used two suggestions als reference:

http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0011&L=servlet-interest&D=0&P=
55344

http://people.netscape.com/chanezon/tech/java/tomcat/debug_jsp_in_cafe.html

I'm trying now to get everything working with Tomcat3.1.1, I've tried
Tomcat3.2.1 but I gave up after reading that it does't load the web.xml
default file (I tested this making a sintax mistake and Tomcat didn't
complain about it). I don't want to create an Web Aplication because I am
still developing the servlet. Tomcat is running Stand-alone without any
other server. I'm using WinNT.

Tank you ver much for your time

Leila

Re: [NEWBIE] Servlet-mapping question

Posted by Dave Smith <sa...@home.com>.
Leila,

Out of the box, <tomcat>/examples/ROOT
maps to /. If you put your package into
examples/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes, you
can access it as /servlet/<fully-qualified-classname>.
Obviously you could change the server.xml
if you wanted to make / map where ever you like.

Dave