Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vivek Singh <vi...@wipro.com> on 2003/01/21 09:56:45 UTC

How to Run Apache and Tomcat separately!!!!

Hi,
   I have apache and tomcat running on the same localhost and
communicating over mod_jk. I want to run them on different machines.
What changes do I need to make  and where?

Thanks in Advance
Regards

Vivek

Re: Apache Version

Posted by Peng Tuck Kwok <pe...@makmal.net>.
Tammer Salem wrote:
> Then Tomcat has it's own web server?
> Can anyone point me to any reference documentation that shows how this
> works?
Tomcat can serve html pages, if you'd poke around in the ROOT webapp you
will see plenty of html pages in there. Basically if your webapp needs
to have html pages you just dump them in the webapp directory. You will
be able to request the page from the browser.

The document link is here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/coyote.html

which should also come with your copy of tomcat.

Re: Apache Version

Posted by Tammer Salem <sa...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Apache Version

Posted by Peng Tuck Kwok <pe...@makmal.net>.

Apache Version

Posted by Tammer Salem <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: How to Run Apache and Tomcat separately!!!!

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hi Vivek,

The following was posted to the list a while ago.  I don't have the
archived URL for it, so I'm just re posting it here.  Hopefully it will
help you out.  Note that it was not written by me so, if you have question,
I'm afraid I won't be of much help.....

Jake

Here it goes.................

Machine  A (Apache), Machine B (tomcat)

httpd.conf changes...
---------------------
Below # LoadModule foo_module modules/mod_foo.so

Add following lines
#
# Load mod_jk
#
  LoadModule jk_module libexec/mod_jk.so
#
# Configure mod_jk
#
JkWorkersFile conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel debug

Below DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/htdocs"

Add following lines...

JkMount /examples ajp13
JkMount /examples/* ajp13

(if you want to configure a application examples running under webapps
on tomcat, just specify  /examples, you need not sepcify the full path
of the application)

Then create workers.properties under $Apache_Home$/conf/  like this

# In Unix, we use forward slashes:
ps=/

# list the workers by name
worker.list=ajp13

#
worker.ajp13.port=8009(ajp13 port from server.xml on tomcat machine)
worker.ajp13.host=hostname(Machine B)
worker.ajp13.type=ajp13

(no need to define tomcat_home and java_home parameters here, you define
them on catalina.sh on tomcat machine)

this is all you need to do on apache machine.......

server.xml changes on  Machine B(tomcat machine)

Set the required environment variables JAVA_HOME AND CATALINA_HOME in
$TOMCAT_HOME$/bin/catalina.sh

Commen out the Standalone HTTP port(port 8080) Connector.

<!--
     <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
                enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
                acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>
-->

Also Comment out the WARP connector

   <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">
<!--
     <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
      enableLookups="true" appBase="webapps"
      acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
-->

Change the both the <Engine> Tag and <Host> tag defaultHost to tomcat
hostName(ex: tomcat.apache.com)
(This should match with your workers.properties host name.)

<Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="tomcat.apache.com" debug="0">
   <Host name="tomcat.apache.com" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true">
   </Host>
</Engine>

start tomcat and apache, you should be able to access examples from
apache machine....

I have pretty much followed the http://www.ubeans.com/tomcat/
documentation......many many thanks to Pascal Forget.

Let me know, how it goes...............

-Raj