Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/09/04 07:18:09 UTC

Re: Website and Branding Rules

On 2011-08-30, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> IMHO our existing site[1] is quite basic and aimed at developers. I
> suspect work is needed to bring it into line with the new policy on
> trademarks and branding[2]. I'd to take this opportunity to do a wider
> refresh.

> I would prefer a user centred top level landing page, pushing
> developer centred product documentation down to a level.

Sounds fine.  But it also likely means it will take longer to make the
site conform to the branding reqs.

I'm not familiar enough with the mvn site plugin to know how to get
anything into the footer, but for the rest of the requirements I don't
think it would take too much effort to just make the necessary
modifications of adding a few "Apache"s here and "TM"s there.

Stefan

Re: Website and Branding Rules

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
sebb wrote:
> On 4 September 2011 06:18, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 2011-08-30, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> >
> >> IMHO our existing site[1] is quite basic and aimed at developers. I
> >> suspect work is needed to bring it into line with the new policy on
> >> trademarks and branding[2]. I'd to take this opportunity to do a wider
> >> refresh.
> >
> >> I would prefer a user centred top level landing page, pushing
> >> developer centred product documentation down to a level.
> >
> > Sounds fine.  But it also likely means it will take longer to make the
> > site conform to the branding reqs.
> >
> > I'm not familiar enough with the mvn site plugin to know how to get
> > anything into the footer, but for the rest of the requirements I don't
> > think it would take too much effort to just make the necessary
> > modifications of adding a few "Apache"s here and "TM"s there.
>
> We went through this exercise in Commons and HttpComponents.
>
> This is not easy to do with current Maven, so they both use a
> customised Maven skin with an updated VM template that picks up
> <custom> elements from site.xml.
>
> You can use the commons skin (it's generic) in your site.xml
>
> The commons top-level site.xml is here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-site/trunk/src/site/site.xml
>
> Should be easy enough to adapt for RAT.

I will try to help with the brand stuff.
However i do not use Maven so can only tweak and watch:
http://incubator.apache.org/rat/site-publish.html

-David

Re: Website and Branding Rules

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.