Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mathieu Lemay <ml...@inocybe.ca> on 2008/02/20 01:20:12 UTC

Good Project Structure for Web Services?

Hello everyone, I'm struggling at getting a good structure for webservice packages.

>From the WSDL Java stubs will be created therefore should the structure be:

parent
  -client
  -stubs
  -service

where parent also contains the schemas and WSDL files as well as any server-config.wsdd , or other
elements? Or should I find a way to have all three artifacts (client, stubs and service jars) be created from the parent pom (classifiers). I will also have to create a special pacakge (called GAR) from the three JARS + WSDL + config files and special deployment descriptors. I'm creating the plugin for creating GARs at the moment but I'm now wondering if this plugin should create the "submodule" when creating STUBS via the WSDL2Java.

Help Please?

Mathieu

Re: Good Project Structure for Web Services?

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
simple question for you.... so this structure looks 'nice'...

what do you do when you have 2 webservices? 3? 4?

now you have that in you head look at your poms... where is the duplication?
in the configuration of the plugins in each of the so called children.

if you have a parent of client and stub and service its not possible to factor
that plugin configuration up...

if however you had

parents
- distribution-management-parent aka company pom
- client-parent :: distribution-management-parent
- service-parent :: distribution-management-parent
- stubs-parent :: distribution-management-parent
ws1
- common-deps :: distribution-management-parent
- client :: client-parent
- service :: service-parent
- stubs :: stubs-parent
ws2
- common-deps :: distribution-management-parent
- client :: client-parent
- service :: service-parent
- stubs :: stubs-parent
ws(n)

if you need common deps you can compose them in a common artifact of the
client, service and stub siblings.
the common deps may include the schema, wsdl etc as well (its unfortunate many
plugins do not support loading resources from the classpath)

if you still want a project aggregation you can will make ws1, ws2 as modules
projects but that does not imply or require inheritance...

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:20:12 Mathieu Lemay wrote:
> Hello everyone, I'm struggling at getting a good structure for webservice
> packages.
>
> From the WSDL Java stubs will be created therefore should the structure be:
>
> parent
>   -client
>   -stubs
>   -service
>
> where parent also contains the schemas and WSDL files as well as any
> server-config.wsdd , or other elements? Or should I find a way to have all
> three artifacts (client, stubs and service jars) be created from the parent
> pom (classifiers). I will also have to create a special pacakge (called
> GAR) from the three JARS + WSDL + config files and special deployment
> descriptors. I'm creating the plugin for creating GARs at the moment but
> I'm now wondering if this plugin should create the "submodule" when
> creating STUBS via the WSDL2Java.
>
> Help Please?
>
> Mathieu

Michael McCallum