Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Andrés Torres García <to...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/20 07:57:16 UTC

ActiveMQ client support for JMS 3.0

Hi there,

Active MQ is our default Message Broker for asynchronous communication.

ActiveMQ support has been removed
<https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/issues/28591>from Spring
Boot 3/Framework 6 due to ActiveMQ client not supporting a JMS 3.0 client.
Due to the migration from *javax.jms* to the *jakarta.jms* in JEE9 it looks
like it won't be possible to use JMS 1/2, so we won't be able to use Active
MQ client as-is.

We use Spring Cloud Stream
<https://community.backbase.com/documentation/ServiceSDK/latest/use_spring_cloud_stream>
to abstract the message broker, so there is an opportunity to swap to a
different broker.

We could also explore Artemis, the next major version of ActiveMQ (v6) with
a JMS 3.0 client.

Our doubt is: is the community interested in a JMS 3.0 client for ActiveMQ?
we could work on it and create a PR in https://github.com/apache/activemq,
any thoughts?

We also tried a byte code transformation of ActiveMQ client to change
imports from javax.jms to jakarta.jms using the *maven-shade-plugin*. but
it feels a little bit hacky to put that in Production.

Thanks in advance

Re: ActiveMQ client support for JMS 3.0

Posted by Andrés Torres García <to...@gmail.com>.
We've been trying to get an ActiveMQ client build using the new jakarta
classes, we had been playing with shading Active MQ (byte code update of
imports) inspired by https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration,
we could maybe use this while we wait for the official 3.0 support, we are
just thinking about the timelines to make a proper decision.

What do you think? are you aware of anybody trying a similar approach?

Regards

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Right now, there has not been a formal discussion about jakarta client. Please stay tuned— there is definitely interest in making that happen.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Andrés Torres García <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.