Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrea Bondi <to...@novilab.it> on 2006/08/28 19:52:42 UTC

Tomcat, accents and form fields

I know, it's the same old problem, but I can't find a solution googling
the world!

I write in italian, and I obviously need accents.
I'm using stripes framework, but I don't think it's an useful
information, it only provides some functions, like fields validation.

The problem is that when I submit a form, accented letters I insert into
text fields aren't managed well. For example, if I have a form field
named "saySomething", if I write into the field "cioè" I receive "cioè"
from ${param.saySomething}.

Instead, if I write an accented letter directly into the jsp source the
computer displays it correctly.

I think it's a problem of how tomcat 5.5 server manage request params,
so I mailed here...

P.S.
In the beginning of the page I write:
<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java" %>
changing it into other values doesn't change anything.

Thank you
Andrea

Re: Tomcat, accents and form fields

Posted by Andrea Bondi <to...@novilab.it>.
Il giorno lun, 28/08/2006 alle 20.40 +0200, Markus Schönhaber ha
scritto:
> Andrea Bondi wrote:
> > The problem is that when I submit a form, accented letters I insert into
> > text fields aren't managed well. For example, if I have a form field
> > named "saySomething", if I write into the field "cioè" I receive "cioè"
> > from ${param.saySomething}.
>
> Make sure the browser submits the form data in the same encoding Tomcat
> expects it to be.
> Look at the accept-charset attribute of the HTML <form>-element.

Ok, if I set the form-element attribute to ISO-8859-1 it works fine!

Thank you very much!

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Andrea Bondi wrote:
> The problem is that when I submit a form, accented letters I insert into
> text fields aren't managed well. For example, if I have a form field
> named "saySomething", if I write into the field "cioè" I receive "cioè"
> from ${param.saySomething}.

Make sure the browser submits the form data in the same encoding Tomcat
expects it to be.
Look at the accept-charset attribute of the HTML <form>-element. And, if
you're transmitting the form data via GET, look at the URIEncoding attribute
of Tomcat's >Connector> element:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/http.html#Common%20Attributes

Regards
  mks