Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Scott Sanders <ss...@nextance.com> on 2002/02/02 00:39:33 UTC

Voting Rights

So, how do we make voting rights separate from commit rights?

Do we ammend the charter to state how?

Scott

Re: Voting Rights

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 2/1/02 6:39 PM, "Scott Sanders" <ss...@nextance.com> wrote:

> So, how do we make voting rights separate from commit rights?

I am interested in understanding the difference.  If I can commit anything I
want to the codebase, why do I care about voting rights?  Or is every commit
examined and voted on?

I think that the conventional apache approach of making them one in the same
results in the solution to the problem.

We can solve the issue of ensuring that people can have a place to work and
experiement via the sandbox.

> Do we ammend the charter to state how?
>
> Scott

Geir Magnusson Jr.                       geirm@optonline.net
System and Software Consulting
You're going to end up getting pissed at your software
anyway, so you might as well not pay for it. Try Open Source.

Re: Voting Rights

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 2/1/02 7:06 PM, "Ted Husted" <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> The last time around, we counted amending the Charter as a product
> change.

But wasn't that arbitrary?

> costinm@covalent.net wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Scott Sanders wrote:
>>
>>> So, how do we make voting rights separate from commit rights?
>>>
>>> Do we ammend the charter to state how?
>>
>> You first have to get this aproved.
>>
>> I'm strongly -1, and it seems I'm not the only one.
>>
>> Of course, if you can get the required majority - so be it,
>> but that would be a huge loss for commons ( IMHO ). If
>> you think Avalon's model is right - the contribute to avalon.
>>
>> Commons was created to build a community and promote sharing
>> and cooperation - if we end up with a multitude of separated
>> mini-groups that don't trust each other - then commons failed.
>>
>> Costin
>>
>> --

System and Software Consulting
"We will be judged not by the monuments we build, but by the monuments we
destroy" - Ada Louise Huxtable

Re: Voting Rights

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

RE: Voting Rights

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Here I am bouncing again. I like this concept!

Costin is the first guy I remember making a big noise about
making a commons project and he was usually talking about
reusing code.

This is a more complete perspective.
=:o)

Have fun,