Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2007/05/04 20:04:29 UTC

10.3 release & translated docs

Hi,

Two notices from Tomohito caught my attention, because I've been
wondering what to do about the translated documents for a while (ever
since we needed to change the licences), and especially more recently
since I took on the release management role for 10.3.

The first was a remark added to DERBY-2192; see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2192?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#action_12493654

The second, is the problems documented in DERBY-2473:

Translating the documents is a tremendous effort, and of great benefit.
However, there is no mechanism to keep these documents up to date.
Tomohito is doing a great job, but there's of course a lag between his
work and the ongoing work on the trunk.
And it appears that we've not had any contributions to the Brazilian
Portuguese for a long time.

I propose to not include the Portuguese documents in the 10.3 release.
In fact, I wonder if we should switch off the build of the Portuguese
docs altogether, and not include them in the 10.3 branch. Is that
possible? Or is it easier to branch them, but not release them?

It seems to me the Japanese docs are more up to date, but still
inevitably lag behind. It'll be a push to get some of the current doc
changes to the English docs finished by end of May, or so it seems to
me, translating them would take place thereafter...  Maybe it makes
sense to somehow release the Japanese docs separately from the main
docs?

Thx,
Myrna

Re: 10.3 release & translated docs

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello.

I surveyed Apache HTTP Server.

They seems to release translated document with their program but not all
pages was translated.
I had installed Apache HTTP Serrver 2.0 on my PC and
found the almost all pages of manual was translated into Japanese but
several page was not translated.

I found that they have subproject for document.

(documantation  project page) http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/

And then, I saw documentation project have support for translation.
(translation page in documentation project page)
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/translations.html

Concerning about Japanese, translation page has link to
http://cvs.apache.jp/docs-project/ and
this url is part of JAPAN APACHE USERS GROUP(http://www.apache.jp/).
// I remember that I have used their works when I use Apache HTTP Server

Reading those pages,
it seems that JAPAN APACHE USERS GROUP translates manual of Apache HTTP
Server into Japanese
under supports of Apache HTTP Server Documentation project and
JAPAN APACHE USERS GROUP seems to send result to documentation project.

The mark of their works are as next.
(Repository of Apache HTTP Server documentation  project)
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/urlmapping.xml.ja?view=log
(Mail log of translation work group in JAPAN APACHE USERS GROUP)
http://mm.apache.jp/pipermail/apache-docs/2007-March/author.html

Those information tell that there exists
person who is commiter of Apache HTTP Server documentation project
in translation work group in JAPAN APACHE USERS GROUP and
that person commit result of translation to repository of Apache HTTP
Server documentation.

Best regards.

--
/*

        Tomohito Nakayama
        tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp
        tomohito@rose.zero.ad.jp
        tmnk@apache.org

        Naka

*/

Re: 10.3 release & translated docs

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello.

My current understanding for requesting ja-jakarta project is that it is
just my thought.
Evenly I don't know whether they (ja-jakarta) have interest on our manual.

I want to sound them out their interest on this issue,
discussing about the way how we maintain manual on our site simultaneously.
// It may be the good solution to invite them to our project to maintain
Japanese translated manual ....

Please let me know your opinion.

Best regards.

--
/*

        Tomohito Nakayama
        tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp
        tomohito@rose.zero.ad.jp
        tmnk@apache.org

        Naka

*/

Re: 10.3 release & translated docs

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello.

--
/*

        Tomohito Nakayama
        tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp
        tomohito@rose.zero.ad.jp
        tmnk@apache.org

        Naka

*/

Re: 10.3 release & translated docs

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 5/29/07, Rafael Vanoni <Ra...@sun.com> wrote:
> I thought I'd mention, even if just for the record, I haven't updated
> any of the Brazilian Portuguese documents yet so I obviously won't be
> able to make it for the 10.3 release.
>
> I'm still committed to it and will get it done for 10.4.
>
> --
> Rafael Vanoni
> Sun Campus Ambassador @ UFRGS, Brazil

Thanks for letting us know & for volunteering for the task!

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Rafael Vanoni wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> Hi,
>> <snip>
>> And it appears that we've not had any contributions to the Brazilian
>> Portuguese for a long time.
>>
>> I propose to not include the Portuguese documents in the 10.3 release.
>> In fact, I wonder if we should switch off the build of the Portuguese
>> docs altogether, and not include them in the 10.3 branch. Is that
>> possible? Or is it easier to branch them, but not release them?
>> <snip>
>
> Hi Myrna and everyone,
>
> I've been lurking here for about a month or so, been meaning to
> contribute with code for sometime but college's been keeping me busy.
> About the Portuguese docs, if no one else is working on that, I'd be
> glad to update them and help keep 'em in future releases.
>
> If you could just point me in the right direction, I'll get it done.

Thanks, Rafael! A great place to start is the Documentation tab of the
main Derby webpage: http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html A lot
of useful material is available in the links on the upper left side of
that page. In particular, the "DITA Source" link takes you to a cookbook
for how to update the documentation:
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/dita.html

Regards,
-Rick

Re: 10.3 release & translated docs

Posted by Rafael Vanoni <Ra...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Two notices from Tomohito caught my attention, because I've been
>> wondering what to do about the translated documents for a while (ever
>> since we needed to change the licences), and especially more recently
>> since I took on the release management role for 10.3.
>
> Related question, it seems the source distribution does not contain
> the source for the documentation, any reason for that, or is it simple
> omission?
>
> Dan.

This looks like an omission to me.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: 10.3 release & translated docs

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 5/4/07, Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> wrote:

> Related question, it seems the source distribution does not contain the
> source for the documentation, any reason for that, or is it simple omission?

Omission. This should probably be fixed as part of DERBY-2573, along
with improving the release artifact generation to take care of
generating both docs and code artifacts at once:

andrew

Re: 10.3 release & translated docs

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.