Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Andy J <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/03 14:04:58 UTC

How to create an Indirect Link

Hi. . .  I'm trying to create an indirect link and have not had
success.  What I'm attempting to do is reference a placeholder page so
that anywhere in my tree can refer to a file that's actually located
at xdocs/nocontent.html.

This is what I put in my site.xml:

 <site label="FCM" href=""
xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0" tab="Home">
   <nocontent href="nocontent.html"/>
   . . .
   <links label="Documentation" dir="docs/" description="General Tool
Documentation">
      <docfoo label="Foo" href="site:nocontent"/>
      <docbar label="Bar" href="site:nocontent"/>
      <docbaz label="Baz" href="site:nocontent"/>
   </links>

The example in the documentation is a bit confusing to me because the
sample used is an element named "<link>" - so now I'm not sure if
somehow I need a child element within my object node that's called
"<link>".  I suppose not because I tried and it didn't work.  In the
setup above I get this error:
  X [0]  docs/site:nocontent   BROKEN: No pipeline matched request:
docs/site:nocontent

I've tried building various paths in the docfoo/bar/baz nodes such as:
href="../site:nocontent" and href="/site:nocontent" or defining the
initial reference like: <nocontent href="/nocontent.html"/> but to no
avail.

I'm now convinced I'm just not doing it right!  Any suggestions?

- Andy

Re: How to create an Indirect Link

Posted by Andy J <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. . .

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Andy J wrote:
> Maybe my question is: can indirect links be used in the site.xml file?

Nope, sorry.

site: links are in fact simplified xpaths to the elements of site.xml,
and are not meant to work inside the file, AFAIK.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: How to create an Indirect Link

Posted by Andy J <se...@gmail.com>.
Maybe my question is: can indirect links be used in the site.xml file?
 Probably my problem was trying to use an indirect link in the href of
a site.xml element.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Andy J wrote:
> Hi. . .  I'm trying to create an indirect link and have not had
> success.  What I'm attempting to do is reference a placeholder page so
> that anywhere in my tree can refer to a file that's actually located
> at xdocs/nocontent.html.
>
> This is what I put in my site.xml:
>
>  <site label="FCM" href=""
> xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0" tab="Home">
>    <nocontent href="nocontent.html"/>
>    . . .
>    <links label="Documentation" dir="docs/" description="General Tool
> Documentation">
>       <docfoo label="Foo" href="site:nocontent"/>
>       <docbar label="Bar" href="site:nocontent"/>
>       <docbaz label="Baz" href="site:nocontent"/>
>    </links>
>
> The example in the documentation is a bit confusing to me because the
> sample used is an element named "<link>" ...

What documentation are you referring to?

> ... - so now I'm not sure if
> somehow I need a child element within my object node that's called
> "<link>".

No.