Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> on 2018/06/21 11:46:11 UTC

Re: buildbot failure in on tomcat-trunk

Le 21/06/2018 à 13:01, buildbot@apache.org a écrit :
> The Buildbot has detected a new failure on builder tomcat-trunk while building . Full details are available at:
>     https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/3379

It looks like Ant needs an upgrade on the builders. Is there a way to
configure the version of Ant used to build Tomcat, or should I open an
Infra ticket to get it updated?

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: buildbot failure in on tomcat-trunk

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 21/06/2018 à 14:31, Mark Thomas a écrit :

> We are going to need to be careful with this. The older Tomcat branches
> need to build on old Java versions so we need to look at Ant / Java
> version compatibility as well.
>
> /me heads off to check the Ant docs for minimum Java versions

Ant 1.9.x preserves the Java 5 compatibility. The required JDK only
changed with the 1.10.x line to Java 8.

I suggest sticking to Ant 1.9.x for all supported Tomcat versions until
Tomcat 8.5 is EOLed.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: buildbot failure in on tomcat-trunk

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/06/18 13:31, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 21/06/18 13:14, Gav wrote:
>> Wierd, it passed on the same machine only 2 hours earlier:--
>>
>> https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/3378
>>
>> as an FYI
>>
>> gmcdonald@silvanus:~$ /home/buildslave/slave/tools/ant/latest/bin/ant
>> -version
>> Apache Ant(TM) version 1.10.3 compiled on March 24 2018
>> gmcdonald@silvanus:~$ ant -version
>> Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.6 compiled on July 8 2015
>>
>> Your build points to
>>
>> ANT_HOME=/home/buildslave/slave/tools/ant/current
>>
>> but should be
>>
>> ANT_HOME=/home/buildslave/slave/tools/ant/latest
>
> Hmm.
>
> We are going to need to be careful with this. The older Tomcat branches
> need to build on old Java versions so we need to look at Ant / Java
> version compatibility as well.
>
> /me heads off to check the Ant docs for minimum Java versions

That was easier than I expected:
The 1.9.x releases require Java5 at runtime and 1.10.x requires Java8 at
runtime.

I'll switch us to the latest 1.9.x for all builds. Easier if we use the
same version throughout.

Mark

Re: buildbot failure in on tomcat-trunk

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/06/18 13:35, Gav wrote:
> I'll add 1.9.11 and ensure previous version remains also.

Tx Gav.

I'll wait until 1.9.11 is in place and then switch the Tomcat builds to
use the latest 1.9.x release (Gav mentioned on HipChat that he'd set up
an additional symlink to point to the latest 1.9.x version).

Mark

Posted by Gav <ip...@gmail.com>.
I'll add 1.9.11 and ensure previous version remains also.

Gav...

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 21/06/18 13:14, Gav wrote:
> > Wierd, it passed on the same machine only 2 hours earlier:--
> >
> > https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/3378
> >
> > as an FYI
> >
> > gmcdonald@silvanus:~$ /home/buildslave/slave/tools/ant/latest/bin/ant
> > -version
> > Apache Ant(TM) version 1.10.3 compiled on March 24 2018
> > gmcdonald@silvanus:~$ ant -version
> > Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.6 compiled on July 8 2015
> >
> > Your build points to
> >
> > ANT_HOME=/home/buildslave/slave/tools/ant/current
> >
> > but should be
> >
> > ANT_HOME=/home/buildslave/slave/tools/ant/latest
>
> Hmm.
>
> We are going to need to be careful with this. The older Tomcat branches
> need to build on old Java versions so we need to look at Ant / Java
> version compatibility as well.
>
> /me heads off to check the Ant docs for minimum Java versions
>
> Mark

Gav...

Re: buildbot failure in on tomcat-trunk

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 21/06/2018 à 14:14, Gav a écrit :
> Wierd, it passed on the same machine only 2 hours earlier:--
>
> https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/3378

This build fetched r1833989, but the issue is with r1833994 which used
an Ant feature requiring at least the version 1.9.8.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: buildbot failure in on tomcat-trunk

Posted by Gav <ip...@gmail.com>.
Wierd, it passed on the same machine only 2 hours earlier:--

https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/3378

as an FYI

gmcdonald@silvanus:~$ /home/buildslave/slave/tools/ant/latest/bin/ant
-version
Apache Ant(TM) version 1.10.3 compiled on March 24 2018
gmcdonald@silvanus:~$ ant -version
Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.6 compiled on July 8 2015

Your build points to

ANT_HOME=/home/buildslave/slave/tools/ant/current

but should be

ANT_HOME=/home/buildslave/slave/tools/ant/latest

If you change that in your config file then it might pick up the 1.10
version better
Which doesnt explain how it has been passing all this time unless you have
just
added changes today that are Ant 1.9 incompatible.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/projects/tomcat.conf

HTH

Gav...

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 12:46 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 21/06/2018 à 13:01, buildbot@apache.org a écrit :
> > The Buildbot has detected a new failure on builder tomcat-trunk while
> building . Full details are available at:
> >     https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomcat-trunk/builds/3379
>
> It looks like Ant needs an upgrade on the builders. Is there a way to
> configure the version of Ant used to build Tomcat, or should I open an
> Infra ticket to get it updated?
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Gav...

Re: buildbot failure in on tomcat-trunk

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Ok: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16673

> And please revert the change until it is updated so the CI system
> continues to work.

Done in r1834001

Thank you for the guidance.

Emmanuel Bourg