Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Laenzlinger, Christof" <ch...@sunrise.net> on 2003/06/05 22:15:11 UTC

Socket Connect Timeout

Is it correct that an axis client with http transport binding does
not support connection timeout?

  Call call = new Call(endpoint);
  // ... populate the call
  call.setTimeout(new Integer(getTimeout()));
  call.invoke(env);

This seems to set the SO_TIMEOUT on the Socket but does not expire in
case of a timeout during the connection to the server.
Is it possible to conifigure axis to timeout also during socket connect?

The client is running inside a web application server
therefore I want to reduce the risk of having hanging threads
waiting for a connection. Is there such a risk at all?

In addition I could not figure out yet how to configure the timeout when
using pure JAXM and SAAJ API e.g.

  SOAPConnectionFactory scFactory = SOAPConnectionFactory.newInstance();
  SOAPConnection con = scFactory.createConnection();
  // ... populate message and endpoint
  SOAPMessage responseMessage = con.call(message, endpoint);

How could Axis be configured to use a SO_TIMEOUT other than the default
timeout when using JAXM/SAAJ?

Many thanks for any help

Christof