Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Seth Geoghegan <ru...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/22 17:24:37 UTC

Maven Unplugged (no network access)

  I am attempting to set up Maven on a corporate network without access to
the web. I've got Maven, a repository (Nexus) and now need to fill my
repository with all the needed plugins. Unfortunately, I don't have the
option of letting Maven connect to the web and download its
plugins/dependencies.  Instead, I need to tell a different group
(non-technical folk) what I need downloaded and they import it onto our
networks manually.  I know it sounds silly, but its the environment I'm
working in!

  Where can I find a list of plugins that Maven needs to support the basic
project lifecycle (compile, test, site, etc)?  Any recommendations would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
~Seth

RE: Maven Unplugged (no network access)

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
This won't work because your local repo does not contain all the same
data that a remote repo does. That's why I suggested using Nexus to
proxy the actual data from the remote...but only the data you need not a
mirror of the whole 16gb Central repo.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
>Then simply run a webserver that points at the files that the maven
>proxy has downloaded. That webserver will now act as a read-only copy
of
>*just the part of the maven repository that you need*. As was noted,
>there is not much point in using a maven proxy to serve these read-only
>files once you've downloaded them the first time.

Sorry, yes this is what I meant. Once you have the files in Nexus, you
can just take the storage folder out and host it with something else, as
it's an exact copy of the repo for things that Maven needed. OTOH, you
will need a strategy for periodically refreshing to new artifacts, which
is why being 100% disconnected is going to be interesting at best.

--Brian

Re: Maven Unplugged (no network access)

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.
That sounds like a really bad idea to me. Awful. Mirroring the entire
maven repository is a pointless waste of your bandwidth and diskspace,
and more importantly a waste of the bandwidth of the ASF.

You do not need every copy of every lib going back to the creation of
maven itself. And IMO people who try to download that should be banned
from accessing the repository at all.

Follow Brian's suggestion: set up a maven proxy (such as Nexus), and run
your build. Or in your case, sit with your security people and do this
from a machine that *does* have internet access. This will cause all the
files you need, and *only the files you need* to be downloaded and stored.

Then simply run a webserver that points at the files that the maven
proxy has downloaded. That webserver will now act as a read-only copy of
*just the part of the maven repository that you need*. As was noted,
there is not much point in using a maven proxy to serve these read-only
files once you've downloaded them the first time.

Simon

Posted by Seth Geoghegan <se...@gmail.com>.