Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/30 22:29:18 UTC

Migrating to maven 3 deps

Do we have any wiki page describing the migration steps that would be
recommended to move a plugin from 2.2.1 deps to 3.x deps ?

I'm thinking *both* in terms of avoiding deprecations and "other" troubles
that may arise ?

Kristian

Re: Migrating to maven 3 deps

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
You may also want to note as part of making plugins for Maven 3.x is that we should encourage people _not_ to inject SLF4J loggers. I'll send out another thread, but I'd like to update to the non-fork Guice 4.0 but there might be a couple instances of using injected SLF4J loggers in places. I honestly doubt many people are making JSR330 plugins yet anyway but I think it's good to note.

On May 14, 2015, at 3:52 PM, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> I've started this page based on my first experiences and things mentioned in this mailthread:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Plugin+migration+to+Maven3+dependencies
>
> Op Fri, 01 May 2015 23:02:39 +0200 schreef Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>:
>
>> Not really deps related, but we should make sure that we use the
>> correct package names when upgrading plugins to require Maven 3. Many
>> plugins use org.apache.maven.plugin as the package name, but it should
>> be org.apache.maven.plugins (with an s at the end) to match our
>> groupId.
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Not that I'm aware of, but I can think of several steps:
>>> - compile/runtime should not depend on maven-compat (the
>>> plugin-testing-harness still requires it, so test-scope is still required,
>>> though)
>>> - consider testing with a Maven distribution without maven-compat
>>> - use the major release to do housekeeping: remove deprecated parameters,
>>> use direct M3 method calls instead of by reflection.
>>>
>>> I'm working on artifact/dependency related issues for the install, invoker
>>> and deploy plugins.
>>> I've created branches for these to give me enough time to fix this
>>> correctly.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Robert

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about.

 -- John von Neumann

Re: Migrating to maven 3 deps

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: Migrating to maven 3 deps

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
The only issue here is it breaking builds. But if it's a major version change then probably not a big deal. But being consistent for consistency's sake is generally not all that useful for users.

On May 1, 2015, at 5:02 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> Not really deps related, but we should make sure that we use the
> correct package names when upgrading plugins to require Maven 3. Many
> plugins use org.apache.maven.plugin as the package name, but it should
> be org.apache.maven.plugins (with an s at the end) to match our
> groupId.
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Not that I'm aware of, but I can think of several steps:
>> - compile/runtime should not depend on maven-compat (the
>> plugin-testing-harness still requires it, so test-scope is still required,
>> though)
>> - consider testing with a Maven distribution without maven-compat
>> - use the major release to do housekeeping: remove deprecated parameters,
>> use direct M3 method calls instead of by reflection.
>>
>> I'm working on artifact/dependency related issues for the install, invoker
>> and deploy plugins.
>> I've created branches for these to give me enough time to fix this
>> correctly.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Robert
>>
>> Op Thu, 30 Apr 2015 22:29:18 +0200 schreef Kristian Rosenvold
>> <kr...@gmail.com>:
>>

>>> Do we have any wiki page describing the migration steps that would be
>>> recommended to move a plugin from 2.2.1 deps to 3.x deps ?
>>>
>>> I'm thinking *both* in terms of avoiding deprecations and "other" troubles
>>> that may arise ?
>>>
>>> Kristian

> Dennis Lundberg

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

A language that doesn’t affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.

 -- Alan Perlis

Re: Migrating to maven 3 deps

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Not really deps related, but we should make sure that we use the
correct package names when upgrading plugins to require Maven 3. Many
plugins use org.apache.maven.plugin as the package name, but it should
be org.apache.maven.plugins (with an s at the end) to match our
groupId.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
> Not that I'm aware of, but I can think of several steps:
> - compile/runtime should not depend on maven-compat (the
> plugin-testing-harness still requires it, so test-scope is still required,
> though)
> - consider testing with a Maven distribution without maven-compat
> - use the major release to do housekeeping: remove deprecated parameters,
> use direct M3 method calls instead of by reflection.
>
> I'm working on artifact/dependency related issues for the install, invoker
> and deploy plugins.
> I've created branches for these to give me enough time to fix this
> correctly.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>
> Op Thu, 30 Apr 2015 22:29:18 +0200 schreef Kristian Rosenvold
> <kr...@gmail.com>:
>

>> Do we have any wiki page describing the migration steps that would be
>> recommended to move a plugin from 2.2.1 deps to 3.x deps ?
>>
>> I'm thinking *both* in terms of avoiding deprecations and "other" troubles
>> that may arise ?
>>
>> Kristian

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Migrating to maven 3 deps