Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2014/06/18 23:40:09 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Drop comet support in Tomcat 9 onwards

I have been thinking about connector refactoring for Tomcat 9. Currently
BIO is planned to be dropped due to the number of features in the
servlet spec that rely on non-blocking IO.

I would like to propose dropping support for Comet in Tomcat 9 onwards.
The reasons are:
- WebSocket is already far more popular (based on question volume on the
users list)
- Comet support adds a fair amount of complexity to the connector code

Thoughts?

Keep in mind that 8.0.x isn't stable yet and any 9.0.x is likely to be
several years away.

Mark

Re: [PROPOSAL] Drop comet support in Tomcat 9 onwards

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Jun 19, 2014, at 10:45 AM, Rémy Maucherat wrote:

>> I have been thinking about connector refactoring for Tomcat 9. Currently
>> BIO is planned to be dropped due to the number of features in the
>> servlet spec that rely on non-blocking IO.
>>
>> I would like to propose dropping support for Comet in Tomcat 9 onwards.
>> The reasons are:
>> - WebSocket is already far more popular (based on question volume on the
>> users list)
>> - Comet support adds a fair amount of complexity to the connector code
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Keep in mind that 8.0.x isn't stable yet and any 9.0.x is likely to be
>> several years away.
>>
> Yes, of course, that API is only a precursor to Servlet 3.1, and is now
> fully replaced. Most likely existing code can be ported over to Servlet 3.1
> rather easily.
>
> Rémy

+1

Re: [PROPOSAL] Drop comet support in Tomcat 9 onwards

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 6/18/14 5:40 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> I have been thinking about connector refactoring for Tomcat 9. Currently
>> BIO is planned to be dropped due to the number of features in the
>> servlet spec that rely on non-blocking IO.
>>
>> I would like to propose dropping support for Comet in Tomcat 9 onwards.
>> The reasons are:
>> - WebSocket is already far more popular (based on question volume on the
>> users list)
>> - Comet support adds a fair amount of complexity to the connector code
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Keep in mind that 8.0.x isn't stable yet and any 9.0.x is likely to be
>> several years away.
>
> +1 to remove Comet from 9.0.x.
>
> Tomcat 8 isn't stable? (!)

Check the date on the original message.

The first stable 8.0.x release was 8.0.9 on June 24 2014, 6 days after I
sent that message.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 6/18/14 5:40 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> I have been thinking about connector refactoring for Tomcat 9. Currently
> BIO is planned to be dropped due to the number of features in the
> servlet spec that rely on non-blocking IO.
>
> I would like to propose dropping support for Comet in Tomcat 9 onwards.
> The reasons are:
> - WebSocket is already far more popular (based on question volume on the
> users list)
> - Comet support adds a fair amount of complexity to the connector code
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Keep in mind that 8.0.x isn't stable yet and any 9.0.x is likely to be
> several years away.

+1 to remove Comet from 9.0.x.

Tomcat 8 isn't stable? (!)

-chris