Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ben Storey <be...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/08 11:09:35 UTC

Maven 2.1 and Maven 2.0.9 changes

Hi,

We ran into a problem I thought I would make you aware of one of my
colleagues was running maven 2.1 and we were all running maven 2.0.9

 When deploying with version 2.1.0 and you have properties setup like the
following in the root project.

 <prroperties>

      <commons-logging.version>1.1</commons-logging.version>

</properties>

…

<dependencyManagement>

  <dependencies>

            <dependency>

               <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>

               <version>${commons-logging.version} </groupId>

            </dependency>

  </dependencies>

</dependencyManagement>

When you do the deploy with 2.0.9 it deploys like above, however when
deploying in 2.1. it substitutes the dependencyManagement version property
like below.

<dependencyManagement>

  <dependencies>

            <dependency>

               <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>

               <version>1.1</groupId>

            </dependency>

  </dependencies>

</dependencyManagement>

This means in the child projects we cannot override the version by the
following:

<properties>

      <commons-logging.version>1.1.1<commons-logging.version>

</properties>

Because maven does not do the substitution because there is no variable to
substitute in the root descriptor.

With the way we are using maven currently the dependencyManagement elements
we want to be able to override some of our own library versions.

 Is this an enhancement or a bug?

Cheers

Ben

Re: Maven 2.1 and Maven 2.0.9 changes

Posted by Ben Storey <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the quick update will do that.

Posted by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com>.
Strange - I have exactly that and I just did a test with 2.1.0 and it
worked just the same as with 2.0.9

(mvn deploy of a snapshot version)

<dependencyManagement>
 <dependencies>
  <dependency>
   <groupId>com.nds.project</groupId>
   <artifactId>runtime</artifactId>
   <version>${runtimeVersion}</version>
   <scope>import</scope>
   <type>pom</type>
  </dependency>
 </dependencies>
</dependencyManagement>

Is it the core or a plug-in that is responsible for this?

/James

This e-mail is confidential, the property of NDS Ltd and intended for the addressee only. Any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and destroy the original message. Messages sent to and from NDS may be monitored. NDS cannot guarantee any message delivery method is secure or error-free. Information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. We do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in this message and/or attachment that arise as a result of transmission. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NDS.

NDS Limited Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales Registered no. 3080780 VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

Re: Maven 2.1 and Maven 2.0.9 changes

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.