Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Ti...@westfieldgrp.com on 2002/02/20 14:12:29 UTC

Parsing for variable

     Hello all.  The latest nightly build seems to work very well, fixing
several issues that had been preventing me from using it.  Now I can use it
to record scripts, and play them back.  But I have a question.

     In the application I'm wanting to test (JSP based), at one point in
the process an ID number is created, and added to the data going from
client to server.  It then is part of the further requests.  The problem
is, every time I play the script back, a new ID is generated (as should
be), but the recorded script uses the old value in subsequent requests.  So
the question is: how do I scrape that value and replace it in the later
requests?

     Is there some mechanism for something like variable substitution?  In
the product we currently use, after recording the script, you can go in and
edit it to scrape a value returned by the web server and place it in a
variable.  Then anywhere else in the script you want to use that variable,
you delete what is there (the old value) and put the variable name there.
This way, each run of the script uses the ID created for that run.

     Anyone?