Posted to gsod2019@cassandra.apache.org by Hung Nguyen Viet <vi...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/24 05:22:15 UTC

Inquiry about Cassandra's IRC or mailing list

Hi zznate,
Hi Dinesh,

My name is Hung Nguyen, currently a rising senior at Northeastern University. I have just got to know about GSoD 2019 as well as Apache Cassandra as one of the organizations participating in the program this year a couple days ago. While I’m still trying to get as much information about the program at the moment, but since I knew about it pretty late, I took the liberty to write to you two to ask for more guidance.

In particular, I want to get involved into the Operator’s Handbook project since I also want to learn about Cassandra database from the point of view of a newbie at the same time. However, currently there’s not much of detailed guideline on a potential proposal while I can sense that the amount of work would be significant. I wonder if the project has any IRC or mailing list that I can join to ask the community for more guidance?

A little bit about my experience, I’m on my first technical coop as a desktop engineer at TripAdvisor, Needham, MA until end of June then I will have the rest of the summer as well as the next school year to spend on this program. I have been developing web applications using both SQL (MySQL) and NoSQL database (MongoDB) and has exposure to both DML and DDL of relational database with Oracle which was taught in school. From those experiences, I have enthusiasm in database technology in general and luckily Apache Cassandra is on the organization list this year.

That’s about it. I really look forward to hearing from you two and receiving more guidance.

Best,
Hung

Re: Inquiry about Cassandra's IRC or mailing list

Posted by Nate McCall <zz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hung,
Thanks for reaching out.

http://cassandra.apache.org/community/

Your curiosity and your initial set of experience (and your free time over
the summer :) put you in a good place to get involved. As we are an open
source project, this can have little or nothing to do with GSoD. To be
clear, if you put in some effort on the docs for an operators handbook (on
your own or through GSoD) and we get the contributions added in, "Apache
Cassandra Contributor" is absolutely something you can put on your resume
coming out of school. See this page for details on how the ASF approaches
this type of thing:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

Cheers,
-Nate