Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Norman Adams <na...@rtconline.com> on 2018/04/10 21:57:41 UTC

ODG file export

When I export an odg file as a jpeg my media player does not recognize it
Am I doing something wrong?

Norman Adams

Re: ODG file export

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 16:57 10/04/2018 -0500, Norman Adams wrote:
>When I export an odg file as a jpeg my media player does not
>recognize it. Am I doing something wrong?

Probably.

What do you mean by saying that your media player "does not recognize
it"? Do you genuinely mean that your media player starts and attempts
to open it and gives you an error message? (If so, I wonder why you
have censored this.) Are you, that is, attempting to open the file
from within your media player? If so, perhaps your (anonymous) media
player does not handle JPEG files.

Or do you mean that you simply double-click the resulting file
outside your media player and are thus relying on your operating
system - not on any application - to know what your preferred
application is for this purpose? If so, it may be that the
appropriate "association" does not exist in your operating system.
You have also kept your operating system a secret, but you appear to
be using a Mac. You can set or change associations between file types
and default applications very easily; see, for example:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25685 .

There are two particular problems I can think that you may be having:

o In the OpenOffice Export dialogue, when you select "JPEG", the
default extension given to your file appears to be ".jpg". Is your
operating system expecting ".jpeg" instead? If so, you can either
edit the text in the "File name" box to create the required extension
or else teach your operating system to understand ".jpg" as well - as above.

o In the Export dialogue - as also in OpenOffice's Save As dialogues
- there is an "Automatic file name extension" tick box. If this has
become unticked, your exported file will have no extension to its
name, and this may (I cannot speak authoritatively about Macs!)
prevent your operating system understanding its type. If you tick
this box again, your choice should stick.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: ODG file export

Posted by Howard Blum <ho...@gmail.com>.
I am on a Mac system but it works fine on my system.

Try a reboot of your computer.

If it doesn't work after the reboot try to launch whatever app you use to
view jpeg files and then try opening it from within the application.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Norman Adams <na...@rtconline.com>
wrote:

> When I export an odg file as a jpeg my media player does not recognize it
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Norman Adams

Howard Blum
Pro Mobile Notary
PO Box 834
Novato, CA 94948
415-898-4130
http://pro-mobile-notary.com

Re: ODG file export

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 11/04/18 7:57 AM, Norman Adams wrote:
> When I export an odg file as a jpeg my media player does not recognize it

Windows Media Player doesn't recognise jpeg files but it does jpg files.
Just rename the file extension to jpg and it will work.
The original file extension for the Joint Photographic Expert Group File
Format was ‘.jpeg’; however in
Windows all files required a three letter file extension. So, the file
extension was shortened to ‘.jpg’.