Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com> on 2017/01/09 16:58:36 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-109: Old Consumer Deprecation

Happy Monday,

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in the discussion around this
KIP and shared their opinion.

The only concern that was raised was not having a defined migration plan
yet for existing users of the old consumer.
I hope that responses to this concern (on the discussion thread) have been
satisfactory.

Given the short time we have until the 0.10.2.0 cut-off date I'd like to
start voting on this KIP.

KIP:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-109%3A+Old+Consumer+Deprecation
Discussion thread:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@kafka.apache.org/msg63427.html

Thanks.
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] KIP-109: Old Consumer Deprecation

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Ismael,

Sure, that sounds good to me. Thanks.

--Vahid

From:   Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   01/10/2017 03:26 AM
Subject:        Re: [VOTE] KIP-109: Old Consumer Deprecation
Sent by:        ismaelj@gmail.com

Thanks Vahid. I think there are 2 aspects to this KIP:

1. Deprecating the old consumers
2. When it should be done

I think everyone agrees that we should deprecate it, but there is a
difference of opinions on the timing. I think it may be best not to rush
it, so I'm +1 on this for the release after 0.10.2.0 (which means the PR
could be merged after the 0.10.2 branch is created in a couple of weeks).

Ismael

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Vahid S Hashemian
<vahidhashemian@us.ibm.com

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.
Sure. The following is the voting outcome. I'll update the KIP too.

Voting on this KIP ends with 3 binding and 1 non-binding +1 votes.
Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion / voted on this KIP.
The decision was to include it in the release following 0.10.2.0.

Binding votes by:
* Ismeal Juma
* Gwen Shapira
* Jason Gustafson

Non-binding vote by:
* Stevo Slavić

Comments and feedback are still welcome!
--Vahid

From:   Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   02/06/2017 10:29 PM

Thanks. Is it worthwhile updating the KIP with the timeline? So
someone like me who is catching up can figure out the status?

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] KIP-109: Old Consumer Deprecation

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] KIP-109: Old Consumer Deprecation

From:   Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   02/06/2017 07:39 PM

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] KIP-109: Old Consumer Deprecation

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] KIP-109: Old Consumer Deprecation

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Ewen,