Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Evgenii Zhuravlev <e....@gmail.com> on 2019/05/01 16:24:36 UTC

Re: sizing

Hi,

What do you mean here? Do you mean binary fields VS varchars? Could you
please give an example of the object?

Thank you,
Evgenii

Re: sizing

Posted by Denis Mekhanikov <dm...@gmail.com>.
Clay,

If you want to store plain strings without any schema or markup, then use
varchar.
But if you plan to store POJOs, then binary objects should certainly be
used instead of varchar. Binary types contain meta information, improving
type safety of stored data.

Binary objects don't apply any compression. This improvement is planned to
be implemented on data storage level, not the objects format.
IEP related to data compression:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-20%3A+Data+Compression+in+Ignite

Denis