Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ldebello <lu...@hotmail.com> on 2019/12/13 16:25:59 UTC

Global Order + Cluster + Message Redistribution

Hi,

We are using Artemis 2.9.0 in a symmetric cluster(UDP) using message
redistribution.

I would like to know to if there is a way of ensuring global order when
consuming messages, meaning

Producer 1 Send Message To Broker 1: INSERT
Producer 2 Send Message To Broker 2: UPDATE

Consumer Read Message From Broker 2: It read first "UPDATE" and later
"INSERT".

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Luis

Re: Global Order + Cluster + Message Redistribution

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
There is no way to enforce "global order" across a cluster of brokers
mainly because the idea of "global order" across a cluster of brokers
doesn't make a lot of sense so there's no reason to implement it.
Clustering brokers together is a great way to increase overall message
throughput via horizontal scaling. However, enforcing global order across
all the brokers in the cluster would require detailed coordination between
all the brokers in the cluster which would severely reduce message
throughput which would defeat the original purpose of the cluster.

If you want global order I recommend using a single broker (or even a
live/backup pair for HA) in conjunction with exclusive consumers or perhaps
message grouping.

Justin