Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@googlemail.com> on 2012/11/07 00:16:24 UTC

Binary CAS serialization and "identical type system"

Hi,

I'd like to understand a bit better what it means when it is said that "binary CAS serialization requires the type system to be identical". I have implemented a simple CAS consumer and reader based on the CASCompleteSerializer. As far as I understand it, the CASCompleteSerializer serializes not only the feature structures but also the complete type system and index repository. I understand that when I deserialize that into a fresh CAS, whatever type system is already in the CAS is fully replaced by the deserialized type system. Consequently, all binary CAS written and later read using the CASCompleteSerializer should always fullfil the requirement "the type system is identical".

Is this correct?

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: Binary CAS serialization and "identical type system"

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

> I'd like to understand a bit better what it means when it is said that "binary CAS serialization requires the type system to be identical". I have implemented a simple CAS consumer and reader based on the CASCompleteSerializer. As far as I understand it, the CASCompleteSerializer serializes not only the feature structures but also the complete type system and index repository. I understand that when I deserialize that into a fresh CAS, whatever type system is  already in the CAS is fully replaced by the deserialized type system. Consequently, all binary CAS written and later read using the CASCompleteSerializer should always fullfil the requirement "the type system is identical".
>
> Is this correct?

I think so.  Best of course to test :-)

-Marshall