Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/11/11 21:12:51 UTC

Updated migration guide?

I'm thinking of starting to create an updated migration guide for AOO.
 If you have any thoughts on this, or want to help, let me know.

Target audience includes:

1) Individual Microsoft Office users, where such users provide their
own technical support.

2) IT departments who support users migrating from MS Office to OpenOffice

3) Groups considering moving to AOO and wanting some guidance on
migration strategy

Rather than starting from scratch, I looked around to see if there is
anything close that could be updated.   I saw that we have a few older
versions of this kind of document:

1) "Migration Guide: A guide to ease your migration to OpenOffice.org
from other office suites" (2004)

http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/manuals/oooauthors/MigrationGuide.pdf

2) OpenOffice.org 2.0 Migration Guide (2006)

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Migration_Guide

3) OpenOffice.org Migration Guide (2006)

https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/7/79/0600MG-MigrationGuide.pdf

Does anyone know of anything more recent than the 2006 version?  Does
anyone know where the source for the 2006 PDF is?  Or was it generated
from the wiki?

I don't think it would be extremely difficult to update the guide. The
tasks would be mainly:

1) Update branding, logos, references to websites, ownership, license,
etc., of OpenOffice.

2) Update screenshots to current UI of AOO

3) Update any technical content that has changed, e.g., platforms
supported, file filters, etc.

4) Write content for new migration-relevant features in AOO.

5) General technical and editorial review of the content.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm thinking of starting to create an updated migration guide for AOO.
>  If you have any thoughts on this, or want to help, let me know.

Excellent idea, it's in need of it, especially around network installs and
network wide customisations.

So I'm up for helping out.

> Target audience includes:
>
> 1) Individual Microsoft Office users, where such users provide their
> own technical support.
>
> 2) IT departments who support users migrating from MS Office to OpenOffice
>
> 3) Groups considering moving to AOO and wanting some guidance on
> migration strategy
>
> Rather than starting from scratch, I looked around to see if there is
> anything close that could be updated.   I saw that we have a few older
> versions of this kind of document:
>
> 1) "Migration Guide: A guide to ease your migration to OpenOffice.org
> from other office suites" (2004)
>

> http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/manuals/oooauthors/MigrationGuide.pdf
>
> 2) OpenOffice.org 2.0 Migration Guide (2006)
>

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Migration_Guide
>
> 3) OpenOffice.org Migration Guide (2006)
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/7/79/0600MG-MigrationGuide.pdf
>
> Does anyone know of anything more recent than the 2006 version?  Does
> anyone know where the source for the 2006 PDF is?  Or was it generated
> from the wiki?

Originally it was generated from ODT files, that came from oooauthors. I
have copies of those, unfortunately this is the latest version I have and
I'm pretty sure nothing came after this.

I also have a PDF of SUN Star Office migration white paper from 2009 which
may be helpful

Cheers
GL

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
I'm getting a 502 Proxy error on the mwiki, edits aren't taking

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Keith N. McKenna <
keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:

> Graham Lauder wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Keith N. McKenna
> >> <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:

> http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/manuals/oooauthors/MigrationGuide.pdf
> >>>>>

> 2) OpenOffice.org 2.0 Migration Guide (2006)
> >>>>>

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Migration_Guide
> >>>>>

> 3) OpenOffice.org Migration Guide (2006)

> Does anyone know of anything more recent than the 2006 version?
> >>>>>
> > I believe that all the documentation for Version 2 was done on the
> > wiki and was then made into PDF's using an add-on.

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Migration_Guide
> >>>

> I don't see how to do this.  Perhaps it requires admin rights?

> >> Ack Sorry,  GMail defaults can be a pain... as I was trying to
> >> say
> >
> >> It shouldn't be too difficult,  I think that you can do this
> >> using the move tab, you can rename that and the subpages as well
> >> although that's not a copy per se.
> >
> >> I'll see what I can do, just may have to revert,  if it all turns
> >> to custard tarts
> >
> >> Cheers GL
> >

> Graham;
>
> Using the Move command will rename the pages to the new namespace and
> set a redirect on the original to the new pages.

Ah good I was wondering about that which is what I was trying to test.

> One word of caution. Those pages are covered by the CCBY license. The
> only way I now to redo those pages under an alv2 license would be to
> start over from scratch and not use the prior pages at all. For me it
> makes much more sense to just update the pages with current
> information and keep the license as is. However I bring it up as some
> people have rather strong opinions about using other than the alv2
> license.

That was one of my concerns and I am of the opinion that at some point a
ground up rewrite would be the best in order to adjust the license
position.  However in the short term I agree with you that an updated
Migration Guide under the old license would be the simplest.  As long it's
not released with the software, it shouldn't be too much of an issue right
now.

Cheers
GL

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
> .
> .
> .
> >
> > I've made a start on the Main, Introduction and sharing files pages.  I'd
> > forgotten how unsatisfactory it was, it was a bit of a rushed job after
> all.
> > I'm beginning to think that considering the amount of work that is going
> > be required to bring it up to scratch that it may be more sensible just
> go
> > full on with the new guide.
> >  It would also give us the advantage of it being under the Apache
> License.
> >

> I'm not opposed to starting a new document.  But I'm unlikely to pull
> out of my head a comprehensive set of functional differences between
> MS Office and AOO and hints for users.  That seems to be the focus of
> that wiki page.  In fact I'd even argue that the document is misnamed.
>  I'd call it "A Guide to Apache OpenOffice for Former Microsoft Office
> Users" or "And End User's guide to Moving from Microsoft Office to
> Apache OpenOffice" something like that.

+1, and in that light it makes it probably more useful to that User set.
 Certainly more so than a document that can be used to ease migration

> Where I could offer more new content would be on the higher level
> migration issues, organizational strategies/approaches for migrating.

Excellent, especially for Large Enterprises.  I've been involved with
migration in Corporate environments but usually only at the implementation
stage and only once at the planning stage and even then it was limited to
driving the senior management team to see the benefits and to get them
behind it.
That particular migration is why I'm so keen to get a decent Migration
Guide.  The move to OOo was successful for over a year and a new head of
ISS came in and bought MSO licenses across the org.  That was not such a
big deal,  the big deal to me is that there was hardly a wimper of
objection from Dept heads.
 My gut feeling is that initially the whole thing was done as means of
reducing licensing penalty exposure.  They had bought a large Govt
Department and had no idea what their IT hardware and software inventory
was.  (I was told not to tell anyone about the migration because they were
very concerned about a BSA audit that could have run into many hundreds of
thousands of dollars in non-compliance penalties). One of the reasons I
hate the idea of us claiming "Cost Free".
They went back to MSO easily because the exit from OOo was seen as "Cost
Free".  What REALLY peed me off, was that MS got to crow about the shift
back and I had been sworn to secrecy!   So any Corporate Migration Guide
has to honestly assist in cost evaluation of exit strategies in both
directions.  I can estimate but really it's way outside my experience.

Cheers
GL

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Updated migration guide?

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Keith N. McKenna <kn...@apache.org> wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Keith N. McKenna
> > <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:

> http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/manuals/oooauthors/MigrationGuide.pdf
> >>>>>>>>

> > 2) OpenOffice.org 2.0 Migration Guide (2006)
> >>>>>>>>

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Migration_Guide
> >>>>>>>>

> > 3) OpenOffice.org Migration Guide (2006)
> >>>>>>>>

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/7/79/0600MG-MigrationGuide.pdf
> >>>>>>>>

> > Does anyone know of anything more recent than the 2006 version?

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Migration_Guide
> >>>>>>

> > I don't see how to do this.  Perhaps it requires admin rights?

> > Graham;
> >
> > Using the Move command will rename the pages to the new namespace and
> > set a redirect on the original to the new pages.
> >
> > One word of caution. Those pages are covered by the CCBY license. The
> > only way I now to redo those pages under an alv2 license would be to
> > start over from scratch and not use the prior pages at all. For me it
> > makes much more sense to just update the pages with current
> > information and keep the license as is. However I bring it up as some
> > people have rather strong opinions about using other than the alv2
> > license.
> >

> >> I don't see a problem building on the existing content, under the
> >> stated license.  We're not including these guides in a release.  The
> >> reason for a copy was to preserve the existing material for users
> >> while a new version is being prepared.  It could take a few weeks to
> >> do the update and it could be messy day-to-day.
> >
> >> -Rob
>
> Rob;
> I agree completely that updating and keeping the current license is the
> best way forward. The only way I see to achieve what you are referring
> to is to create a new set of pages and manually copy the wikitext from
> one to the other. The move command renames the old to the new and sets
> the old as a redirect to the new. This is not a copy operation, but more
> on the lines of the move command in dos.
> <snip>

There is an easy way to remove the redirects, I just had to figure it out.
Anyway all done so ready to edit

Cheers
GL

Re: Updated migration guide?