Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nat Colley <na...@yahoo.com> on 2007/05/29 00:21:08 UTC

[users@httpd] really basic website questions

I keep getting confused about ServerName. When people talk about "server" sometimes they mean a machine, other times they mean software. In these Apache directives, at least in the examples, the term 'server' seems to be referring to a domain name. But even a domain name is confusing, because the 'domain' can be the machine (or is that a host?), a website address, or some part of a network (domain controller?) which I also don't understand. There's got to be a real basic explanantion in non-geek insider terminology that neophytes can follow. Where is it? Thx.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!