Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Stein, Neil S" <ne...@merck.com> on 2005/12/06 15:28:29 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

	   http://tmcg2.sourceforge.net/TMCg2_WhitePaper.pdf
<http://tmcg2.sourceforge.net/TMCg2_WhitePaper.pdf>

>  The TMCg2 is divided into two components, the console and agent.  Each
>  component is then broken down into smaller modules that perform the
> specific
>  tasks.
>
>  TMCg2 Console
>  The TMCg2 Console is a browser based interface for both administrators
> and
>  application development teams, with access controls, rules, and web
>  application settings stored in a structured relational database.   A view
> is
>  provided to development teams to focus on the configuration and status of
>  their web application. Additional views are provided for the enterprise
>  administrators to focus on the Apache and Tomcat configurations and
>  operating processes. Some types of requests for a developer would include
>  application reloads/restarts and content deployments.  Administrators
> would
>  make requests such as creating/modifying web applications, virtual hosts,
>  starting or stopping the web application servers.
>
>  TMCg2 Agents
>  The TMCg2 Agent is responsible for brokering messages from the console to
>  the appropriate module.
>
>  0.2  Warning signs
>
>  Management of an extensive web infrastructure is a very important topic
> for
>  Merck and Co., Inc., and has had limited attention from the ASF.
> Continuing
>  and growing the TMCg2 will provide a continued benefit to Merck and Co.,
>  Inc.  There is no risk of any of the usual warning signs of orphaned or
>  abandoned code.
>
>  The current committers have experience working with open source projects
> and
>  communities and the leaders of this project have a career based working
>  under normal meritocracy rules.
>
>  Orphaned products:
>

>  3. Identify the ASF resources to be created
>
>  3.1 mailing list(s)
>
>      * tmcg2-ppmc
>      * tmcg2-dev
>      * tmcg2-commits
>      * tmcg2-user
>
>  3.2 Subversion repository
>
>      * [WWW] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tmcg2
> <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tmcg2>
>
>  3.3 Jira
>
>      * tmcg2 (TMCg2)
>
>  4. Identify the initial set of committers:
>
>      * Neil Stein
>      * Steve Toback
>

>  5. Identify Apache sponsoring individual
>
>  We request that the Apache Incubator PMC sponsor TMCg2 as an incubating
>  project, with the eventual goal of graduation as a TLP.  The initial
>  contributors feel the scope of the project doesn't clearly overlap with
> any
>  existing TLP, and is broad enough to justify eventual TLP status.

> [...]

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
It's been 6 days since the introduction to this project at ApacheCon, and two
weeks, today, since it was proposed.

Votes +1; wrowe, mads, jerenkrantz, jimjag
Votes -1; [none]

I'll give this one last day to stew, and without further objection, will call
the vote and begin creating the incubation-infra for this new crew, along with
my co-mentor Mads.

Thanks to all who've given this proposal their consideration (w or w/o email)!

Bill

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Dec 17, 2005, at 10:07 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 09:28:29AM -0500, Stein, Neil S wrote:
>>> plan.  At this time I would like to propose the adoption of the
>>> TMCg2 as
>>> an
>>> incubator project under the ASF.
>
> +1.  -- justin

+1

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:58:54PM -0800, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Neil, and incubator PMC,
>
> * I'm happy to serve as mentor on this project.

I would be too if there is a need for an additional mentor.

> All in all, I vote +1 to accept this project into incubation, and I thank
> you
> for offering this project to the ASF.

+1 (from the peanut gallery)

vh

Mads Toftum

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Stein, Neil S wrote:

>>To allow my team to manage an ever growing range of web assets, we have developed
>>a web based tool set to manage the entire web infrastructure.  Throughout the
>>development of the tool set, the idea of releasing it back to the community that
>>has provided me with so many wonderful tools has always been part of the project
>>plan.  At this time I would like to propose the adoption of the TMCg2 as an
>>incubator project under the ASF.

Neil, and incubator PMC,

* I'm happy to serve as mentor on this project.

* You mentioned an initial development community of approx 10 specific folks
   from 5 -different- organizations, I find that a promising start.  [Most of
   these contributions take some time to attract a broader community.]

* The scope of the project is impressive; it will be interesting to keep it
   sufficiently modular so that it scales to the user's interests and needs.
   [It seems the shortcoming of most such tools is that they 1) try to do too
   much or 2) don't scale effectively to attract a broad community.]

* The module has a tie to Oracle and future tie to MySQL - there are licensing
   issues about what dependencies we can distribute, but these issues can be
   addressed during incubation.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:30:01PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> A final concern was raised, TMCg2 stands for (???).  I've read it as 'The
> Management Console generation 2'.  Now from an OSS standpoint, there's no
> first generation, so I'd suggest dropping the g2 designation.  But was I
> badly
> mistaken?  Someone's suggested that the M is Merck, but I've seen no such
> ref.

I tend to agree that the name isn't very good. TMC is not a very good
choice either - Apache The ... wouldn't really work. It would be nice to
find something more appropriate before starting to create too many
mailing lists.

vh

Mads Toftum

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
To publish the initial page the following need to be threshed out...

Stein, Neil S wrote:
>> At this time I would like to propose the adoption of the TMCg2 as
>> an incubator project under the ASF.
>>
>> Community:
>>
 >> [Snip]

Need names here, including those who plan to actually participate from beyond
the original committer base.  Include those without CLA's - that can be dealt
with (and updated) next.  There is concerned that this is a two man project
(which obviously, it's not, but that was the original posting.)  If you have
names, they should be added now (and subscribe to the -dev list upon creation.)

>> 3.1 mailing list(s)
>>
>>     * tmcg2-ppmc
>>     * tmcg2-dev
>>     * tmcg2-commits
>>     * tmcg2-user

For the moment, we need only -ppmc, -dev and -commits, we can add -user
after the initial evaluation tarball.  That list name would change of course
once the project graduated, confusing users further.

>> 3.2 Subversion repository
>>
>>     * [WWW] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tmcg2
>><https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tmcg2>

Prior to any initial import, this should be made available at least to ASF
members for review;  Roy notes that sf.net/projects/tmcg2/ contains no code.
Can we publish this?  I can place it in an incubator PMC-only repository for
all PMC or ASF members to consider before import/adoption.

>>     * tmcg2 (TMCg2)
>> Mentors:     Bill Rowe
>>            Jim Jagielski

Add Mads to that list of course.  Jim, since your offer was quite some time
ago ... ping, are you still interested in mentoring?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
+1

geirm@apache.org