Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com> on 2013/11/22 07:13:04 UTC

Region concept is not there in Openstack-nova API ?

Hi All,

Noticed $subject. Is it the case?

--

Thanks & regards,
Nirmal

Senior Software Engineer- Platform Technologies Team, WSO2 Inc.
Mobile: +94715779733
Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: Region concept is not there in Openstack-nova API ?

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> Thanks for investigating. AFAIK Openstack has a 3 layer hierarchy :
>
> Region --> Zone --> Host
> 1           :      n
>                     1    :     m

OK, now we're leaving the land of my OpenStack expertise. I hope one
of the OpenStack gurus on the list (or on IRC?) can shed more light on
this one!

ap

Re: Region concept is not there in Openstack-nova API ?

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
The naming on this was a design decision going back before my time. AFAIK, the choice of Zone [1] had to do with the scope of the Region concept in OpenStack and nothing to do with the name itself. I continued to use that naming for consistency.

I agree it's confusing but changing would be a nasty break in backwards compatibility. I'm not sure it's worth it but we can mull it over.

Everett

[1] http://jclouds.apache.org/documentation/reference/location-metadata-design/

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> Noticed $subject. Is it the case?

I'm hardly the expert here, and this probably makes more sense to some
of the Rackspace folks on the mailing list. But just to clarify: would
this be the same type of "region" as referred to in the Nova command
line client docs [1]?

--os-region-name <region-name>
                         Defaults to env[OS_REGION_NAME].

Could you give an example of how you're looking to *use* this region property?

Regards

ap

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/content/novaclient_commands.html