Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Sendoh <un...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/23 16:03:12 UTC

How does Job manager schedule jobs to task managers

Hi Flink users,

I saw our Flink cluster doesn't dispatch jobs equally.
So some nodes are busy and have few task slots left, and some nodes are not
busy and have many task slots.

We don't have yarn setup. Would that be the reason?

Or does Job manager dispatch job first to some nodes are not busy(more
memory left and task slots)? or Job manager doesn't consider it?

Best,

Sendoh

Re: How does Job manager schedule jobs to task managers

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Hi Sendoh,

Flink does not necessarily spread the tasks across all available TMs. It
depends a little bit on the topology of the job, because in general it is
beneficial to deploy downstream tasks to the same machines where their
input tasks run. I described the process in more detail here [1]. This link
[2] also contains some information regarding Flink's internal scheduling.

[1]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/Scheduling-task-slots-in-round-robin-tp12068p12143.html
[2]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.2/internals/job_scheduling.html