Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Jörg Henne <j....@levigo.de> on 2006/06/23 14:52:59 UTC

Storing partition configuration in system partition

Hi,

as I am currently trying to customize the JBoss server SAR I stumbled
over what I think are a few problems with it:
1. The whole configuration lives within the SAR where it is rather
inaccessible. Using an XMBean with the xml persistence one could move
the configuration at least to conf/xmdesc.
2. The partition configuration allows only a simple name and constructs
a partition root of "cn=NAME" from it. Furthermore there can be only one
partition.
3. The default configuration has a few problems:
- the Krb5KdcEntryFilter references a class which no longer seems to
exist in RC3:
org.apache.directory.server.protocol.common.store.Krb5KdcEntryFilter
- several directories are configured as ${reims.jboss.dir}/something. As
${reims.jboss.dir} is non-standard, this dumps the databases into
$JBOSS_HOME/bin/${reims.jboss.dir}/... which doesn't seem to be what one
usually wants.

Regarding #1 and 2: I'd still regard the XMBean solution as only the
second best, as configuring the server is quite clumsy this way. The
structure below the system partition seems to suggest that - at least at
one point in time - the storage of the configuration of partitions (and
possibly most of the other options) in the system partition was
considered (cf. ou=system,ou=configuration,ou=partitions). Is it
possible to use this for the SAR? If yes, is it possible to dynamically
reconfigure the partitions?

Regarding #3: is there currently a maintainer of the SAR package? I'd
like to offer a few patches, in particular to fix the mentioned
problems, make it JBoss 4.0.x compatible and fix the darned
IncompatibleClassChangeError in conjunction wuth log4j.

Joerg Henne