Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com> on 2013/10/17 19:51:32 UTC

Is anyone using the QMF C++ Agent and Console development libraries (libqmf2)?

Hi All,

Before I start investing time working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-5226 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4981, I was wondering if anyone actually uses these C++ libraries.

As far as I can tell, the code hasn't seen any serious development in over two years.   That, and given that there are no unit tests run on that code (QPID-4981), I'm wondering if this code is actually being used.

Please let me know,

-K

Re: Please Read [was: Is anyone using the QMF C++ Agent and Console development libraries (libqmf2)?]

Posted by Kerry Bonin <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thx, I was using the 0.24 tag, should have checked trunk.  Appreciate the
help, I'll ping if I run into any issues!

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 11/21/2013 06:59 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-11-21 at 12:37 -0600, Kerry Bonin wrote:
>> I didn't see /home/gordon/projects/qpid-svn-trunk/cpp/src/qpid/broker/management-schema.xml
>> in the svn repo, where else could I look for it?  thx...

Doh! I hadn't realised I'd pasted in the local path and not the URL, sorry!

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Kerry Bonin <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Kerry Bonin <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!  I'm absolutely fine w/ using the messaging APIs, and thanks for
the example, its clear enough.  Is there any data available from the
console APIs (I used them a long time ago - 0.8? - weren't very stable)
that I can't get using the message APIs?  And where can I look for the best

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Kerry Bonin <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hello!  I was just about to look them over, as I need access to queue loads
on the brokers.  If you are considering deprecating them, what would be the
recommended way to access QMF data from the broker in a C++ client app?

Kerry Bonin

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
Hi All,

I sent this email about a month ago with no replies to date.  So I'd thought I'd re-ping the list.  Is anyone using these libraries?

If not, then I'd like to propose that we mark them as Deprecated in our upcoming 0.26 release.

I volunteer adding the appropriate code warning directives to the build, so any code that attempts to include these APIs will issue deprecation warnings at compile time.  We'll leave them available in the code for 0.26 (and I think at least one more release - Justin?), and if the warnings reveal a large user base, we can "un-deprecate" them.

But in order to really stand behind this code, we'll have to invest some time in building unit tests for them.  AFAIK, this stuff is not getting any test coverage right now.

Opinions sought!

thanks,

-K

> Before I start investing time working on
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-5226 and
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4981, I was wondering if anyone
> actually uses these C++ libraries.
>
> As far as I can tell, the code hasn't seen any serious development in over
> two years.   That, and given that there are no unit tests run on that code
> (QPID-4981), I'm wondering if this code is actually being used.
>
> Please let me know,
>
> -K

-K